Apple Daily to close in HK - end of an era

As many forumosans will know, the authorities in Hong Kong have been harassing Apple Daily, arresting its iconoclastic editor Jimmy Lai, seizing computers, and (despite earlier assurances) weaponizing the National Security Law retroactively to threaten journalists reporting on the democracy movement.

Facing this harassment and these heavy handed threats, Apple Daily has announced tomorrow—Thursday June 24, 2021—will be their last day of publication. I guess that will be one less source of criticism for the CCP and their lackies in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong RIP.

Guy

3 Likes

The writing on the wall was the arrest months ago, followed by taiwan stopping print. this is not a surprise, and sadly they are closing to apease empty promises that will never be fullfilled. So the world loses another free press behind opressed lines and they will still be in jail afterwards. All tolled, lose-lose.

I sure hope people are still buying made in china in order to support this type of oppressive regime!

The world is totally screwed if we keep not giving a shit.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s uncertain at all.

3 Likes

Btw, that’s not my phrase; it’s William Yang’s in his tweet embedded above. I imagine that as a journalist he needs to be more circumspect than I would be at this point.

Guy

2 Likes

Apple Daily RIP.

Guy

3 Likes

It is amazing how little the world cares about thisbstuff.

This is why I have always said china is winning, because the self proclaimed good guys dont give a fuck. In my mind, that makes them not good guys by proxy.

Shameful, this world :frowning:

And china still is winning despite what youtube says…

2 Likes

RIP. Very sad day for Hong Kong.
Jimmy Lai is actually one of my personal (anti)heroes. I have massive respect for him. I really hope he can get out of jail and spent the rest of his like with his family safely and peacefully.

Also feel for the staff and reporters and printers and editors and photographers , everybody that worked there in the free press. :pray:

2 Likes

I feel this is actually a loss for the world, not just china or hong kong. Sadly people will still enjoy buying overpriced expensive products built on the backs of cheap/forced labour in china. Ahem…apple… and no one will care much next month unless they invade their country. Even then, meh…?

Thise of us that care, of which here are easily millions, really need to start discussing and organising together. At the very least on issues of product purchases then move forward with more important issues.

Yup. Apple will launch the next blood soaked phone in fall as usual! Innovation, fair treatment and human rights remain the hallmark as always!

Apple Daily Exits From Hong Kong

The Wall Street Journal - June 24, 2021

Summary

Final Message from Next Digital

1 Like

A reporter who worked for Apple Daily in HK: “our newspaper was ended by a thuggish act by the government.”

Sad. The free world needs to fight back.

First they come for the trash papers…Next they come for you.

First they come for Hong Kong…Then Taiwan…Then the world.

2 Likes

I’ve never visited HK. Could someone explain what’s why the fascination with HK over say Singapore or Japan? What was so good there ?

For starters, the other places you mentioned are not currently being strangled by the Chinese Communist Party and their venal local collaborators.

If you want to start another thread about “What makes HK fascinating” please go ahead and do so.

Guy

2 Likes