Apple iPhone 3G and 3Gs

I am almost sure that Taiwan will have it in September.

I’m going to cast my vote here and bet that there is absolutely no chance of the iPhone coming officially to Taiwan in September.

The reason Taiwan isn’t listed is because Apple hasn’t reached an agreement with one of Taiwan’s telcos. Presumably when Apple came to negotiate the telcos pushed too hard and Apple just pulled a Soup Nazi and said “No iPhone for you!”.

Obviously Apple isn’t going to hold out forever, but making a deal to launch in Taiwan in September now would screw over the partners who played nice in the fist place. iPhones are still in short supply, so adding another country to the September launch list would mean cutting the allocation for other places.

Based on other parts of the world, if the iPhone here was 7000nt, then expect to pay around 4000nt a month for the plan, and lock in for 24 months.

Or, you can pay about 13000nt, and pay about 1800-2000nt per month for 24 months.

Or, you can pay about 25-30000nt and do what you like. Of course you need to find a 3G plan still.

Based on other parts of the world, if the iPhone here was 7000nt, then expect to pay around 4000nt a month for the plan, and lock in for 24 months.

Or, you can pay about 13000nt, and pay about 1800-2000nt per month for 24 months.

Or, you can pay about 25-30000nt and do what you like. Of course you need to find a 3G plan still.[/quote]

F*** that! I’ll wait till its release and a week later some snot nosed high school student will have cracked them and have them for sale on Yahoo auctions. I’ll get it cheap and it’ll work on any network by then I’m betting.
I think any Taiwan operator knows this as well as iphone which is perhaps why both sides are all so hesitant at signing any deal. The first ones to sign will loose out as far as my experience tells me. No one in Taiwan minds using cracked shue hwo phones as long as they’re cheap. It is never usually difficult or expensive getting things fixed here either when they go wrong without warranty. I bet every 18 year old Ah hwang knows exactly how to fix one with his eyes shut; although he doesn’t know how to put one foot in front of the other.

BOUGHT the iPhone 3G 16Gb it at Guanghua. Works like a charm…

Whenever it comes officially to Taiwan, I won’t need to commit to any contact with anyone as I already have it and use it on my current contract.

[quote=“tango42”]BOUGHT the iPhone 3G 16Gb it at Guanghua. Works like a charm…

Whenever it comes officially to Taiwan, I won’t need to commit to any contact with anyone as I already have it and use it on my current contract.[/quote]

Nice, did you get the white or black? They should make orange too. :slight_smile:

How much are they going for at Guang Hua?

iPhone 3G in Guanghua going for $26-33K. SIM card unlock vs software unlock (which comes later). Caveat: 3G is not yet enabled because the software is not stable. Can still surf internet and everything, but not on 3G. I probably wouldn’t notice anyway as my internet surfing via the 3G phone lines in non-existant. I always surf internet on wi-fi.

The 3G doesn’t do much more than my old iPhone. So I really only purchased more memory as my old iPhone was only 8Gb and my new 3G is 16Gb.

If you have an iPhone now, consider waiting awhile to purchase the 3g. You won’t notice much difference. Unless you plan to surf internet on phone call instead of wi-fi, then 3G not important either.

I don’t know about you, but I find 3G quite useful, much better than hunting around for a wifi hotspot. Even on the subway it’s only in the stations, not on the trains in between, and you have to login to WiFly each time.

Poagao, thanks for the suggestion. You are right, 3G might be quite usefull.

I would think that, without the 3G, you’d be better off getting the first-generation iPhone; at least it has longer battery times (although I’m not sure how they compare with using the iPhone 3G w/o the 3G/GPS turned on. Perhaps it’s the same.

So I picked up my 3G and I’m let down by the 3G service. I find the benefits of the phone are its improved call quality and GPS. It also feels a bit more “natural.”

Meaning iPhone 3G somewhere in Taiwan?? Or are you talking about some other 3G model just for service comparison? If you mean the iPhone 3G:

• Is this a legitimate iPhone 3G, knockoff, or hacked in some other way?
  • Did it require a contract (ie - can non-resident foreigners even get one?)
    – If so, with what phone company & what is the call/data plan?
  • Where did you get it (store & location?)?
  • How much for purchase & monthly fees?
  • Does the GPS work well for Taipei? English or Chinese maps?

Sorry to ask so may questions, but so far phones here seem more trouble than they’re worth. Would love to get the new iPhone, but I’m only here for 1 year, so a contract won’t work unless it’s transferable. Don’t want to get stuck w/a useless plastic brick after it’s been cracked & jailbroken, etc. Thanks!!

Sorry man, I picked my iPhone 3G up here in the States. I was just commenting on it in general. I have no info on it re: Taiwan. The international keyboard is really swell though, I love that it does handwriting recognition of Chinese characters. But you can get that for the original iPhone too.

D’oh! Yeah … I’m an idiot. Who knew Brooklyn wasn’t in Taiwan? :slight_smile:

The problem was the Taiwan mobile companies didn’t like the price plan. Oh well another area where TW is even lagging behind China. China mobile now offers the Iphone. They just started.

Any iPhone is Taiwan is either contracted in another country, or hacked. No iPhone offically released in Taiwan and no date in sight.

Everything works on hacked iPhone using it in Taiwan including GPS. Maps are in Chinese (with a little English) because the phone knows it is in Taiwan. Same as laptop or home computer which both sometimes default to Chinese. Language hasn’t been a problem in general.

It does everything it is supposed to do, even automatically download the top YouTube videos every day.

One of the best things is it does so much downloading automatically and has the data ready for me before I ask.

[quote=“tango42”]Any iPhone is Taiwan is either contracted in another country, or hacked. No iPhone offically released in Taiwan and no date in sight.

Everything works on hacked iPhone using it in Taiwan including GPS. Maps are in Chinese (with a little English) because the phone knows it is in Taiwan. Same as laptop or home computer which both sometimes default to Chinese. Language hasn’t been a problem in general.

It does everything it is supposed to do, even automatically download the top YouTube videos every day.

One of the best things is it does so much downloading automatically and has the data ready for me before I ask.[/quote]
So, might I ask you for help w/the questions above? Where to find? Contract required? Ridiculous price gouging? Etc?

Thanks ~

(BTW - did Taiwan not have iPhone 1.0 either??)

[quote=“naijeru”]So I picked up my 3G and I’m let down by the 3G service.[/quote]Do you mean you’re having a problem with the connection? A lot of people have reported this problem. Apple are aware of it and there may be some kind of software update on the way.

Yeah, but it only works in GSM/EDGE there since they don’t have a UMTS 3G network yet. :smiley:

What’s your friend saying now?