Apple OS 4.0 announced! iAds? Noooooooooo!

[quote=“mabagal”]which basically means ceasing to use the internet.

oh look at this ad here on forumosa, maybe i will go to bongos for some poutine tomorrow. or forkers to enjoy their friendly balcony.[/quote]
You can always use adblock or similar to hide the banners, use the browser controls to always block images from those servers etc.

I think ads are always going to be part of the landscape but the smarter-than-average user is always going to be able to work around the ads, save his bandwidth and avoid the eyesores. Too bad the non-geeks are going to get an extra dose to make up for that. :wink:

Do you mean to say that you don’t want ads in paid apps? As jashsu mentioned, very few paid apps out there have any form of advertising in them (THAT I agree would be wrong), and I don’t see that changing with the iAd system. Now if you’re asking for free apps with no advertising, that might be a bit much, since the developers need to be compensated somehow.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“mabagal”]which basically means ceasing to use the internet.

oh look at this ad here on forumosa, maybe i will go to bongos for some poutine tomorrow. or forkers to enjoy their friendly balcony.[/quote]
You can always use adblock or similar to hide the banners, use the browser controls to always block images from those servers etc.

I think ads are always going to be part of the landscape but the smarter-than-average user is always going to be able to work around the ads, save his bandwidth and avoid the eyesores. Too bad the non-geeks are going to get an extra dose to make up for that. :wink:[/quote]

An alternative approach also is to semi-hijack adaptive advertising. A few years ago it became very apparent to me how good the gmail bots had gotten. A friend wrote saying “this function is not suit and tie, but don’t show up in beach wear.” It gave me ads for Polo shirts and slacks.

Try it once, with some email it’s rather entertaining.

Anyway one thing that ads do is help me discover things. The forumosa ads are well targetted… I actually like Forkers and I do sort of miss poutine from my visits to Canada.

We use a goog apps account at work for this very purpose. When we were looking for some local services, I tell my colleagues simply to email what we are looking for and discuss specifics in email. Eventually the bot gave us some pretty good “suggestions” which we immediately favored a bit because they were at least smart enough to have an adwords campaign.

And I’m cool with robots reading my mail. They are reading this very post right now…

Privacy is different for different people. A CEO of a big US tech company once told a class I was in some good perspective on this: don’t put anything in email that you wouldn’t want read on the evening news.

City of Los Angeles has decided to move their email service to Google Apps, and if GMail is good enough for America’s second largest city it’s good enough for me.

Do you mean to say that you don’t want ads in paid apps? As jashsu mentioned, very few paid apps out there have any form of advertising in them (THAT I agree would be wrong), and I don’t see that changing with the iAd system. [/quote]Yes, that’s what I meant. It sounds to me like iAd will become a big part of the apps store. If they leave it to free apps, it won’t bother me. But if I pay for an app, I will feel robbed if I have to deal with things I didn’t ask for showing on my screen. I’m especially worried with Steve Jobs’ math. How can they achieve one ad every 3 minutes without including paid apps in this calculation?

-The average iPhone user spends 30 minutes a day running iPhone apps.
-If you put an ad in every three minutes, you get three ads every 10-minute period.
-We will have shipped 100 million iPhone/iPod Touches by this summer.
-Add those up and you get a billion impressions a day based on that average use.

Here’s my calculation. One ad every three minutes=about a week before I flush the iphone down the toilet.

RobinTaiwan, I wouldn’t worry about that - paid apps should still stay adfree. All he wants is for developers who currently have ads in their apps to switch to the iAd from the AdMob or whatever format they are using now. As well, for consumers using apps with ads in them, if there is an iAd in them, you might be tempted to play with it and see what it is (app within an app?) rather than ignoring it like you currently do.

He likened it to TV ads, which are of course for free content.