Apples and Oranges and getting screwed at the fruit stall

I went to a fruit stall last night and got:

one apple
one kiwi
one peach

and the girl charged me 90 NTD

A bit expensive I said to her, which she replied that this was the average cost of a fruit ~ 30 NTD

Was I being ripped off?

How much does an apple, orange banana cost here?

yes, i would say so. the first week i got here i bought 2 bananas and a bag of oranges. 80nt. at some fruit stall.

you can get a better deal at the supermarkets/hypermarkets by far and they are the pricier places.

some import fruits like grapes and plums and strawberries from US can be pricey, but an apple?

i dunno. i’ve haven’t seen much consistency in prices though.

it depends on if the fruits are fresh or if they are in the right season. But it seems kind of expensive for it. Heck, once I got 3 guavas for $130 NT, but someone told me that it is because it wasn’t the right season…

oh well! :unamused:
~MiakaW~

u done got cheated, sir! apple is just ten dollars in taiwan, kiwi is maybe 15 and banana 5 dollars. the entire thing should have been 30 dollars.

she took you for a mark. next time, protest. she will smile and say “OH SO SORRY MY BAD, you are right Mr Foreginer, it is just 30 dollars. my bad!”

Some vendors do this from time to time. it’s their fun. consider it your baptism by fruit. and smile.

But next time, gently say DONT FUCK WITH THE FOREIGNER!

It was because of the peach that you feel you got ripped off. Peaches, cherries and strawberries are extremely expensive in Taiwan. Guavas, apples and bananas are much more reasonable.

TNT,

Which city or county did you buy the fruit in?

Where was the fruit grown? (The approximate size of the fruit will help)

Generally I pay 10 to 20NT per kiwi, 10-50NT for an apple (if it’s a big one from Korea they are expensive) and there are many many many kinds of peaches so the price will vary from about 10NT to about 80NT.

It’s important to find a fruit stand near your home, make sure the boss treats you right, and become a regular customer. I do that wherever I live. I choose the stand that treats me like a regular customer, not a rich foreigner, the first time.

I agree that apples are pretty cheap, depending on the kind. About NT$10-15 each for local brands. Kiwis about the same. Peaches are usually pretty expensive; 4 of them sell for NT$100 at my local stand. So you should have paid about NT$50-60, unless you took some really nice fruit.

Just paid 50 NT for three papayas.
Admittedly, at a cheap stall after 8pm, stallholder trying to get rid of the last of the crop. Still good value for fresh-looking fruit

WHere can you buy really fresh sweet corn in Taipei or suburbs? The supermarket stuff is never really sweet like the corn back home off the roadside stands.

You can’t! The best corn on the entire planet is grown in Pennsylvania… Silver Queen… You haven’t had proper corn until you’ve had Pennsylvania Silver Queen… I used to plant Doebler’s Hybrid Silver Queen… absolutely amazing.

Everything else, including so-called “bread and butter” corn or “salt and pepper” corn is simply field corn, fit only for feeding the pigs and cows.

You can find it but I dont know where. I once tasted some at a party in Tienmu but I never found out where it was bought.

[quote="tigermanYou can’t! The best corn on the entire planet is grown in Pennsylvania… Silver Queen… You haven’t had proper corn until you’ve had Pennsylvania Silver Queen… I used to plant Doebler’s Hybrid Silver Queen… absolutely amazing.[/quote]

What about Silver King?

post-gazette.com/food/20000629corn1.asp

I’ll take either one, right now, with liberal amounts of butter and salt.

[quote=“TNT”]I went to a fruit stall last night and got:

one apple
one kiwi
one peach

A bit expensive I said to her, which she replied that this was the average cost of a fruit ~ 30 NTD

Was I being ripped off?

How much does an apple, orange banana cost here?[/quote]

This is a trick question, right? Or have you really been in Taiwan for a year or longer (you have been registered on this forum almost a year) and yet you still don’t know the ballpark figures for the most basic kinds of fruits?

[quote]This is a trick question, right? Or have you really been in Taiwan for a year or longer (you have been registered on this forum almost a year) and yet you still don’t know the ballpark figures for the most basic kinds of fruits?
[/quote]

Not knowing the price of grog would be suspicious, but not bloody fruit. Some of my English friends don’t eat fruit of any kind (I guess because you can’t fry it).

Anyone for banana fritters?

And I reckon that if you can fry Mars bars, as many Brits do, you can probably have a go at doing the same with a few kinds of fruit. Hmmm… when I think of it, fruit tempura probably wouldn’t be half bad.

[Question to administrators or anyone else in the know: Why, when I typed a capital A for the first letter of the first word in my second paragraph, did it get changed to a lower case a in the post? Little things like that outrage the meticulous editor that lurks in the deepest inner reaches of my persona.]

[quote=“Larsen Ni”][quote=“TNT”]I went to a fruit stall last night and got:

one apple
one kiwi
one peach

Was I being ripped off?

How much does an apple, orange banana cost here?[/quote]

This is a trick question, right? Or have you really been in Taiwan for a year or longer (you have been registered on this forum almost a year) and yet you still don’t know the ballpark figures for the most basic kinds of fruits?[/quote]

No its not a trick question… I have been in Taiwan for five years… usually though I would buy fruit in the WELCOME or buy a apple here or there… but this new fruit stall opened downstairs…with techno music blaring

As it was so big I thought it would be cheaper… seems not though… and I do know the price of fruit varies at different times in the year…

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]
and I reckon that if you can fry Mars bars, as many Brits do

[Question to administrators or anyone else in the know: Why, when I typed a capital A for the first letter of the first word in my second paragraph, did it get changed to a lower case a in the post? Little things like that outrage the meticulous editor that lurks in the deepest inner reaches of my persona.][/quote]
You can always use A instead. :slight_smile:

Edited to note: How %*#&ing annoying; the BBS software replaces my perfectly good use of character codes with the actual characters in the data that’s stored in the message database. I was figuring you’d be able to see it if you replied-with-quote. Anyway: “ampersand pound zero six five semicolon” instead of a capital A.

there are apples and there are apples. some of the japanese ones are expensive. damn good too, the damn japanese can even make a better apple than us :slight_smile: then again being overcharged by a market stall wouldn’t exactly be an eye-opener :slight_smile:

TNT bought one apple, one kiwi, and one peach. There is no banana in that list. Bananas are very cheap but imported peaches can be quite expensive.

[quote=“formosa”]she took you for a mark. next time, protest. she will smile and say “OH SO SORRY MY BAD, you are right Mr Foreginer, it is just 30 dollars. my bad!”
But next time, gently say DONT FUCK WITH THE FOREIGNER![/quote]

And WTF is this? “OH SO SORRY MY BAD, you are right Mr Foreginer, it is just 30 dollars. my bad!”

Are you a total horse’s ass or what?

To maintain a varied diet and save pennies, I simply buy whatever fruits are in season. Papayas, mangoes, and passion fruits are currently in season in this late summer. Melons and cantaloupes and pineapples were the previous season, but are now fading out of season. Bananas are always in season. Apples are never in season because they are all imported.