Applicant from Los Angeles: Given the current situation, how should I look for work in Taipei?

Hi Forumosa,

I’ve been thinking about teaching in Taiwan since I visited twice back in 2018. I was teaching in Korea at the time, but preferred the pace and culture of Taiwan to Korea.

Because of the overwhelming amount of information in this forum, I’ve decided to start my own thread.

I’ve heard from a friend who taught in Taipei that it’s better to get a job once you’re in the country, but I’m assuming now that with pandemic that I would need a job in advance once foreigners are allowed to enter again.

I’m currently looking on Tealit for jobs in Taipei and Taichung, but is it even worth looking right now?

So, should I get job in advance, and are there any well-paying buxibans or public schools that aren’t sketchy and hire teachers not currently residing in Taiwan?

Thanks guys!

What I’ve heard is FBI stopped providing background check. If this is still true, you can’t get a work permit now, even if you find a school willing to hire you from overseas.

1 Like

It is not a good time to come. Why not wait a while?

3 Likes

You shouldn’t.

Wait until this is over and then apply. Air travel, FBI checks, etc. a lot of stuff is shut down right now.

3 Likes

I realize I should wait to come, but when the time comes, is it better to have a job in advance or just come to Taiwan and look for work then?

It’s harder to find a job from overseas … both from the employer’s perspective as they can’t have a face-to-face meet and don’t know for sure if you’re 100% coming (some overseas applicants get cold feet and don’t move to Taiwan even after accepting a job), and from your perspective as you can’t check out the school and boss firsthand before accepting the position.

That said, people do still get jobs while outside the country. I would only accept if I knew the school was really good, so if you go this route I’d check out online reviews and maybe even email former teachers.

1 Like

Thanks Drew. Sounds similar to what I had to do before Korea, but I’ll do my research if any of these schools get back to me.

1 Like

Cheers! I also taught in Korea.

Nice! Do you have a preference?

It’s mixed. I was in a different place in my life …in my 20s and single/partying a lot, when I was in Korea. Now I’m in my 30s and married with a kid.

There are some things I miss about Korea (the food, the pop culture, night life felt a bit more exciting, wages were a bit better), but also some stuff I prefer about Taiwan (people are less nationalistic and more friendly here). If I had to choose, probably Korea, but I’m glad I could experience both.

1 Like

If I were you I’d just wait until this pandemic thing is over. Right now who knows. My sister was planning on coming over to visit (she lives in Ventura), and she’s not even bothering to look at tickets now. Too much weirdness on either side of the Pacific.

Wait until Taiwan is fully open for visitors again and then start looking.

2 Likes

I thought people without residency or citizenship couldn’t even enter the country at the moment, no?

It’s my understanding he’s now asking about what he should do when this is all over (whenever that’ll be). Personally, I think the buxibans/schools will be starved for fresh blood after having been cut off from the west for months, so it’ll be an employee’s market post-pandemic (at least compared to pre-pandemic).

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I’ve got a friend who’s sick of his school. A good time to make a change if you ask me.

1 Like

Maybe , although the American economy has taken a huge hit which may lead to a rise in supply.

1 Like

Yes, the employee’s market will only last about 6 months to a year (depending on when international travel resumes), so it’s a “strike while the iron is hot” situation for sure.

2 Likes

I would also suggest waiting it out. It’s not always true that they’re banning everyone. If you get accepted to teach at a public school that’s the exception. I don’t know when they will stop giving special entry to public school teachers but they allowed special entry since October 2021. Some programs will allow you to have a long-term substitute teacher license to teach in public schools in Taiwan. Illnois makes it pretty easy to get one as long as you have a college degree. Good luck!

Really need to be boots on the ground to check the schools out like was previously suggested. This is for your own well being. Being here and interviewing in person does not in any way mean you will end up being happy with your assignment. I’ve had numerous jobs I had to walk away from because of the working conditions. I can easily walk away because I’ve got permanent residency and other income streams.

One reason these places are so rotten is they pretty much control your life while you are living/working for them in Taiwan. Without an ARC that the school provides you, you’ve got to leave or do visa runs etc…

Believe me, these people can and will make your life miserable if you don’t comply with each and every one of your employer’s demands. Really no good for your health. Believe me.

If you do come, be sure you have enough saved for this adventure to last you 5 months to include housing and visa runs. Do not even bother until things are completely open again. Really not a good situation here at the moment.

1 Like