Applying for a Tai Bao Zheng (Taiwan Compatriot Pass) in HK

Hi there

I am an overseas chinese with Taiwan passport and Taiwan ID card/number. I live in Canada at the moment, also a Canadian citizen

I’d like to apply for a Tai Bao Zheng (Mainland travel permit) to travel to mainland China.

I’m planning a 3 day trip to Hong Kong (Thurs, Fri, Sat) and was thinking of applying for a Tai Bao Zheng. If 3 days is too short, I could extend it to 5 days.

Can someone please help me describe the process of applying for such a permit in Hong Kong? What was your experience/ how easy is it? How long does it take? Where did you go to get one?

Thanks

I am a dual citizen (Taiwan and US). Last year, I asked a travel agency in Taiwan to apply for me. I was in US then, so I emailed my copy of Taiwan passport, and Taiwan citizen ID card (front and back). I used US mail to send them 2 passport photos that I took from Costco.

Once the travel agency got all my stuff, it took them about 10 days to get my 台胞卡. It is a small card now, just like our Taiwan citizen ID card. I think they need the time to mail the application to HK, and have the card mail back to Taipei. I do not know how long it actually takes if you personally visit them in HK.

PRC give you three months on arrival anyway with roc passport and id.

How practical that is depends on your port of entry however. For example, Shanghai Pudong has very convenient self-serivce terminals to apply for an instant Taibaozheng. Other smaller airports might differ in infrastructure though. Also, I find the “landing Taibaozheng” to be terrible value. For just 800 NT$ you can get a 5-year multi-entry Taibaozheng card through any Taiwanese travel agency. You only need to provide a copy of your ID and a copy of your passport.

Do you remember, for the passport, can it still be the older one without the ID number in it? Or does it have to be the renewed one with the ID number? I ask because it’ll take a while for the renewed one to come out, and I need the Tai Bao Zhen pretty soon. Thanks!

iiuc, you need a national ID to apply for Taibaozheng, and when you get a national ID, your first exit should be on a renewed passport with the id number. so, you cannot skip the passport renewal. when you have the ID and passport with the ID number, you can apply for the landing Taibaozheng.

1 Like