Applying For an APEC Business Travel Card

Does anyone have any information on where I can apply for this card within Taiwan? Most other APEC countries seem to have pretty clear web-based information on the ABTCs but MOFA just goes on and on about how the organisation is structured and where the tea ladies fit into the corporate hierarchy until I fall asleep.

Found it… link is here: boca.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=84 … DSD=7&mp=1

Looking at this … with an ABTC could an American/Brit expat in Asia really hold a standing short-term entry visa to APEC countries including China?? I’m going to do a short-term PRC Visa at the HK airport next week - ABTC would be great if it really works as presented.

Llary - do you know others who use this and vouch for it?

[quote=“Opihiman”]Looking at this … with an ABTC could an American/Brit expat in Asia really hold a standing short-term entry visa to APEC countries including China?? I’m going to do a short-term PRC Visa at the HK airport next week - ABTC would be great if it really works as presented.

Llary - do you know others who use this and vouch for it?[/quote]

I downloaded the application form and found that the Taiwanese card is for Taiwanese nationals only. I know some Taiwanese who recently obtained this card and it sounds great. Fast track lanes in many airports and extended visa-free entry for business travellers.

Given that I doubt any other foreigners have tried to apply for this card as residents of Taiwan, I’m just going to apply anyway, not say anything and see what happens. Unfortunately it seems the spirit of the card is to grant privileges to passport holders of participating economies and not foreign residents of those countries (participating economies being: Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, The Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam).

If you can somehow get a card then yup, it means visa free entry for business travellers to all 17 regions above.

Dear llary,

I look forward to hear how it went, that said I would not bet on you getting it.

Perhaps if you get an aussie passport?

[quote=“Mr He”]Dear llary,

I look forward to hear how it went, that said I would not bet on you getting it.

Perhaps if you get an aussie passport?[/quote]

One of these days I’m going to get a Taiwanese passport just to wind you up :slight_smile:

PS - sorry I won’t be able to make it up tomorrow, I was 110% determined to keep everything free this Sunday but ended up having to put a flight to Japan forward two days. Oh well, it’ll have to be next time (again).