Applying for work in Taiwan

Hello All,
I have worked the past 20 years in a telecom on both the technical side and the Project Management side of the house.
My wife is Taiwanese and we are considering a move to somewhere in Taiwan if I can get a job based on my technical and PM background or even teaching English (if that provides enough income for us to get by on).
Any suggestions on how an American can apply for work in Taiwan ? I have tried looking on LinkedIN and searching with the country of Taiwan, but there isn’t much there.
My current PM contract position is scheduled to be coming to a close in April 2024, but if I can go ahead and start applying for positions now, that would be great.
We have filed the initial paperwork to certify a Chinese name for myself and to prove our marriage of 31 years to each other.
I am hoping to be able to get a job offer somewhere nice in Taiwan that is willing to sponsor my visa, greencard, etc.
Please let me know of any suggestions you may have on searching for employment in Taiwan based on the above criteria.
Thank you.
Jack

You should be able to get a visa and open work rights through marriage, no need for green card, this is something you can make clear to employers who otherwise might not want the hassle

How is your Chinese?

Did you try 104?

Plenty of English teaching jobs if you like kids, lots are advertised on Facebook groups

I speak just a few phrases in Mandarin and cannot read Chinese at all.

You don’t need a work visa to work here if you are married to a Taiwanese. Just get a marriage visa and you’ll be able to work anywhere without employer sponsorship.

There are plenty of non-teaching jobs here for foreigners who can’t speak Chinese, but honestly I have no idea where they are advertised as I’ve never seen any job postings in English.

If they are looking for foreigners who don’t speak Chinese, then chances are they recruit internationally? So maybe just try the sites in your own country? Something like Indeed?

Thanks for your input HongKonger

1 Like

104 has English ads, it even has a foreigner section.

My current job posting was in Chinese but I don’t need any Chinese, they just didn’t think a foreigner would apply. There isn’t even a rule of thumb. Just try and see who bites first.

Just a quick search on 104

https://www.104.com.tw/job/7bdqu?jobsource=m_expats_en

Did you mean to reply to OP? I’m not looking for jobs.

1 Like

Telecoms equipment for exporting is a big business here, more so with 5G. You could also try well know international companies such as Nokia. Lots of jobs on 104 just have your wife help you with the Chinese.

I know European and African expats working in these sectors, so 100% doable.

I see you state you have been married 31 years. So sometimes age is a factor when looking for work. It is not impossible but lets say more difficult the older one gets. However this is a country with hi tech so hopefully you can find something.

Good that you are looking ahead to employers who may also be looking ahead. Good luck with your job hunt. I would first look at what you need to get a Marriage resident visa, you would need to get some documents such as an FBI Clearance as well as other documents.

On the other hand there is the Gold Card Visa for experts and you may qualify for that.
You could apply for that now and have it ready if you decide to move to Taiwan.

I’m curious: in what ways would a Gold Card be more helpful to the OP than open work rights through a marriage resident visa?

Guy

The gold card is just another option, one that is not contingent to the marriage working out.

I asked the same thing the other day can’t remember which thread. Replies were lower taxation and other benefits. 3 years to APRC instead of five.

1 Like