Appropriate Salary

Hello,

Been lurking around intermittently for the past few months and finally got around to clicking pictures of buildings or fish or trees to post here! (by the way, just curious, are there other themes apart from fish, buildings, and trees…?)

Got a call in the early morning before office hours, and which turned out to be an immediate interview. Had woken up less than five minutes before the call came, so was tangled up in the sheets in a complete state of undress, while trying to shut off all the sixty alarms (yes, by the minute. Just in case) on my spare phone and the clock (two alarms were going off) hastily while answering questions about my intended career path. Anyway, it wasn’t very convenient to talk more, so we scheduled a second interview.

I’ve been reading quite a number of previous posts, and yes, I generally get that (1) no one gives a rat’s ass if you’re a native English speaker with an Mandarin-speaking linguistic ability (2) the minimum wage for white-collar jobs is NT $47, 000 + (3) Low pay (4) Have you considered teaching English?

And… I’m currently a writer based in Hong Kong (I write in English); am Chinese, moved from an Asian country to Hong Kong a year ago; yes, I’m a rat’s ass, English, Chinese, understand Taiwanese, all that; three to four years of work experience on a variety of media platforms; have a university degree; in my early twenties, so I’m very grateful that I managed to get a chance to work abroad so far. The job which I applied for is in communications (English writing), and at a Taiwanese MNC (I’m stating this because I’ve seen quite a number of posts decrying Taiwanese companies and their salary offers, and suggestions to other posters that they look to MNCs instead).

I’ve been re-reading this thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =21&t=2623) since apparently salaries haven’t changed for more than 10 years. Also read another post where someone said to get the company to state that they’re paying you 50k, but they actually pay you less, yet another post said that that’s stupid and shouldn’t be done. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the general idea I’m getting from the multitude of posts I’ve read that engineers/computer science professionals with Masters can sometimes find it hard to even get NT 50k, and locals get about 20 - 30k. Right, so exactly what salary would you guys recommend I ask for?

I’m slightly confused, but two friends who have worked in Taiwan previously (one’s a Taiwan national) said I could possibly ask for 40k negotiable if I am brimming with confidence (not sure if any of you are :roflmao: already…). Also saw a post with a link to this, although am not sure how useful or inaccurate it is: michaelpage.com.tw/websitepd … _FINAL.pdf

Could I perhaps get some perspectives on what an appropriate salary would be, in my position? If you’re asking what I’m looking for, or that it is also dependent on my comfort levels… well, it’s not been a breeze financially in HK, and I don’t expect that it will be in TW too. But I do get by in HK and yes, in the beginning it wasn’t easy (I wasn’t transferred; I went to HK to look for a job myself, and got one. Still am paid slightly, very slightly higher than locals though), but of course it just means that I don’t fling money indiscriminately at the bartender/cinema counter/whatever entertainment outlets, and I live in a shared unit/shoebox in rent-crazy HK, but I’m cool with that. I understand that although salaries are low in TW, living expenses are relatively low too. I’m fine with it though; figured that it’s sometimes a trade-off to get outside and learn, and more importantly, grow in a different city, and umm being in my early twenties, it’s best to get out now than in the future where there are more stakes to be given up on (e.g relationships, desire for stability, whatever. Not saying that I will actually want these things, but people and priorities change). Apologies if you think I’m waxing lyrical about y00th and life and all that. More apologies for this lengthy post, but just wanted to give you guys a little more about my background/my expectations/an understanding that well, life ain’t gonna be easy in TW with a certain kind of salary.

Also, I didn’t just want to post “hey, what salary can I get as a comms writer?” and leave it as that.

Would be great to get some perspectives too. Thanks for sharing if you will! I definitely have to answer that expected salary question really soon. Thanks once again, y’all.

It depends on what you think you’re worth to the company. Can they hang up the phone and find someone else immediately? If the answer is no, be bold. Ask for something in the 60ks or 70ks if you think they can afford it. The worst that will happen is they will say they can’t offer you that salary, and you can then negotiate.

Hi, Caton, welcome to Forumosa.

One thing: you cannot ask for 40K. It has to be over 47K to be legal. That means the threshold for you to get a work based ARC. So yes, something in the ballpark of 50 to 60k would be reasonable and negotiable, for starters, me thinks. Expect long hours, though, and to pay the newbie dues. And keep an eye on that ARC processing.

Cost of living in Taiwan will be way lower than HK but little by little it adds up, it is not dirt cheap -aint’t Thailand for sure- and you do not have to be a monk -meaning you can enjoy yourself, have entertainment options, travel, etc., not to mention saving for retirement -the earlier the better. All this is possible by budgeting and as you say, not to fling money in the wrong places. Good luck with the interview.

Hello,

Thank you all for the replies! The interview has been delayed, so I’ll see how it goes. Looking at other opportunities in the meantime as well.

Thanks y’all, once again! Really appreciate the replies.

I’m an ABC and my current salary + bonus is 73k. My first job at a PR company was 46k. My current job is my second job.What is a comms writer? comms is communication. Communication writer? What do you do?

At my first job I wrote press releases among a lot of other things. I’d say try to use your current skill to get a job that uses that skill + learn other skills. For example, I learned about how PR works from my first job and I had some experience running FB groups along with contests and “like” campaigns. At my current job I’m using that knowledge to learn more about mobile marketing and facebook ad buying, neither of those being very difficult to learn imo. Taiwan is absolutely terrible at marketing. Just having a bit of “Western” common sense adds a lot of value to a Taiwanese company.