APRC after extension

Hello everyone!
I am an white collar worker that has a masters from a TW university and has been working in TW for the past 3 years. Technically, I am one year away from APRC under the new rules.
I am thinking of leaving the job and find a remote work somewhere in the world while being on ARC extension which can last a year (2x6 months). The question is: I saw somebody said that ARC extensions count towards the time for APRC but is it ok to transfer from ARC extension right into APRC? Is there anything else I need to consider?

From what I understand if you go directly from ARC extension to APRC, they’ll give you the APRC, but it’ll be valid for one year instead of the five you’d get applying for APRC while at a white collar job.

Just get the APRC and then you can go overseas as long as you like, only returning to automatically renew every five years. You need to be in Taiwan at least half the year anyways and if you are out for too long, they will want extra police checks.

Where you from?

I’m not trying to go abroad, I want to work remotely from Taiwan and then keep working remotely from Taiwan after I get the APRC

Oh. Then you cannot work without a work permit. Get the APRC first to avoid issues.

If this is the case, what you are trying to do is illegal. You can only do this kind of remote work with an open work permit.

Sounded like you wanted to travel.

There are basically two types of APRC now. The “regular” one which you get through marriage etc. Once you get that one you still have to be in TW every year for at least 183 days or apply if you want to stay out longer.

The other “professional” one introduced around 2018 which you get through work allows you to leave Taiwan for up to 5 years and you just need to come back for 1 day to extend it for another 5 years.

As far as I understand the rules, applying for APRC while on ARC extension and without having valid work permit will only grant you the “regular” APRC so you better stay that one year longer in your job and aim for the professional one. The other option would be to get another job or even establish a company and sponsor yourself right before applying for APRC

2 Likes