APRC and "expert in high-tech field"

Hello all,

I’m a newcomer to this website, and though I’ve not found anything related to my question so far, my big apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere in the past.

I’m not in Taiwan, but I’m in touch with a company likely to have me located there.
My concern is my wife is Chinese (mainland china citizenship), and I’d like her to be able to live… and work in Taiwan!

The most reliable solution we’ve seen so far is for me to get the APRC, and then it seems like if I have it, she can have a working license painlessly.

Now, we don’t plan to wait for 5 years for that! So I’ve read that you can get the APRC if you are recognized as “expert in a high-tech field needed by Taiwan”. But this is not what I would qualify “clear and precise”…
I hold a PhD in micro-technology and have some experience in the industry, but I have absolutely no idea how tough it is to get the APRC based on your “high-tech expertise”.

Does anyone here have any kind of feedback about his/her own experience or heard of someone who went though this?

Thanks in advance!

[quote=“maclag”]Hello all, I’m a newcomer to this website, and though I’ve not found anything related to my question so far, my big apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere in the past.

I’m not in Taiwan, but I’m in touch with a company likely to have me located there.
My concern is my wife is Chinese (mainland china citizenship), and I’d like her to be able to live… and work in Taiwan!

The most reliable solution we’ve seen so far is for me to get the APRC, and then it seems like if I have it, she can have a working license painlessly. Now, we don’t plan to wait for 5 years for that! So I’ve read that you can get the APRC if you are recognized as “expert in a high-tech field needed by Taiwan”. But this is not what I would qualify “clear and precise”…
I hold a PhD in micro-technology and have some experience in the industry, but I have absolutely no idea how tough it is to get the APRC based on your “high-tech expertise”.

Does anyone here have any kind of feedback about his/her own experience or heard of someone who went though this?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

NO your wife will most likely not get a visa to be able to live here. Also spouses of ARC work holders do not get working rights.

[quote=“maclag”]Hello all,

I’m a newcomer to this website, and though I’ve not found anything related to my question so far, my big apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere in the past.

The most reliable solution we’ve seen so far is for me to get the APRC, and then it seems like if I have it, she can have a working license painlessly.

Now, we don’t plan to wait for 5 years for that! So I’ve read that you can get the APRC if you are recognized as “expert in a high-tech field needed by Taiwan”. But this is not what I would qualify “clear and precise”…

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Are you refering to this one?:

[quote]Prospective applicants:

(1) Senior professionals needed in Taiwan with one of the following
qualifications:

a. Having professional skills in emerging industries, key technologies, 
key components or products.

b. Having special and rare talents for the technical research and 
development of a technical institution, with remarkable 
achievement in nano and micro electro-mechanical systems,
optoelectronics, information and communications technology, 
automation system integration, applied materials technology, 
high precision sensing technology, biotechnology, resource 
development or energy conservation technology and advance 
fundamental research that are badly needed in Taiwan and cannot 
be easily developed in a short time.

c. Having exclusive and rare talents for management or remarkable
achievement in highway, high-speed rail, subway system,
telecommunications, aviation, shipping, deep-water construction,
meteorology, seismology, etc, that are badly needed in Taiwan and 
cannot be easily developed in a short time.

d. Having special capability in science, research, industry and 
commerce that offer effective and substantial benefits to 
Taiwan’s economy, industry and education or welfare and
are needed by employers in Taiwan.

e. Being the current or former adjunct professor, professor, associate 
professor, assistant professor of domestic or foreign universities, 
or the researcher, associate researcher or assistant researcher of 
a research institution, or having a doctoral degree or having received 
an international academic award, or having written a specialized 
book or having engaged in research at a research institution or 
having conducted technical research and development at a technical 
institution or having been involved in management for over four years.

f. Having achieved exceptional accomplishments and won international
recognition for research and development that can upgrade Taiwan’s
industry.

g. Having won a place among the top three in an event of the Olympic
Game or having won the first place in the Asian Game, or having 
ever coached a national sports team whose members have ever won
a place among the top five in an event of the Olympic Game or 
among the top 3 in the Asian Game, boosting the capability of 
Taiwan’s athletes.

h. Having won the first place of an internationally recognized contest,
or appraisal, in specialized area such as cultural art, technology, 
sport, or industry.

1. Any application for the Alien Permanent Resident Card
    (Plum Blossom Card) under the terms of being a senior professional
    needed in Taiwan is not subject to the requirement regarding the
    period of residency. Instead, prior to the meeting held by the Exit,
    Entry, and Immigration Case Evaluation Committee, the applicant
    shall request the competent authority in charge of related business
    to provide review comments that will be compiled and forwarded
    to the review committee. If the review finds that the applicant’s
    qualifications are satisfactory, the Alien Permanent Resident Card
    (Plum Blossom Card) may be granted.
    [/quote]

immigration.gov.tw/immig_eng … card_b.asp

Nope, though that leaving aside period of residence seems quite helpful.

Your wife, as a citizen of PRC, will have longer period of waiting for any kind of residence and it will be harder for her to get a job permit.

Thanks for your answers!

Icon: Yes, I was refering to this one.

Satellite TV: You mean that she won’t even be able to live in Taiwan with me?? That would be a show-stopper for me!

[quote=“maclag”]Thanks for your answers! Icon: Yes, I was refering to this one.

Satellite TV: You mean that she won’t even be able to live in Taiwan with me?? That would be a show-stopper for me![/quote]

Yes, it is very very difficult. We have had other expats whose wives are from the PRC even had foreign passports but did not get a visa as a spouse.

Suggest you get in touch with the company you wish to work for as they may not be aware.