APRC Application Checklist (part 2)

I think the new APRC rules state that if you haven’t left the country for more than 3 mths at a time during the 5 years of continuous stay, then a Police check from your home country as well as a health check is no longer required.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/152932/cp_news

2 Likes

Thanks for that reminder, helps me relax.

Don’t think I’ve even left Taiwan in 5 years, due to the COVID LARP.

Really want to travel for a couple of months in SE Asia. I think I know every damn paving slab in Danshui by now. It’s a fantastic place to rest, but I want to see other things.

Peace.

I have a couple of questions for anyone, if you had the time on this frosty morning:

1. Is it easy to set up a monthly transfer from a Taiwanese Post Office account to a UK one.

Or, can I use a Taiwanese Post Office ATM card in India/China? I guess it’s pretty unlikely, but any advice welcome. I need to access Taiwanese wages overseas.

What’s the best International Bank card from Taiwan? Maybe I can change banks.

Another question.

Can you pause an APRC process while you go travelling?

I’ve got 5 years of legitimate, legal, provable work in Taipei.

I want to go travelling in Spring, or even sooner.

Is there anyone I can contact to pause the APRC process a couple of months?

i.e. I don’t want to lose the 5 years I’ve built up.

I guess I have to email someone in Xiaonanmen, Any advice welcome.

FYR
You can start your APRC application “…within two (2) years after the period of stay and residence expires”. It is written in Article 25 of the Immigration Act.

2 Likes

What’s the starting point for the 5 years: The day you apply and pay for your first ARC, the day you pick it up, the day you enter Taiwan?

When I applied (a few years ago) they told me that it was the day that my first ARC was issued. I only know this because I went to apply on the 5th anniversary of my arrival in Taiwan (on a landing visa) and they told me that I had to wait for a few weeks more. But they were nice and checked to make sure my paperwork was in order.

1 Like

Hi, I want to apply for an APRC based on employment, but I don’t know how to fulfill item a. here:

B. Employment:
(a)Official letter of approval for employment.
(b)Proof of taking up work within one month.

According to this site, this means a “work permit approval letter 工作許可函 Gōngzuò xǔkě hán”

I’m currently on a JFRV ARC, so I don’t have a work permit.

Edit: I think i’m meant to apply for a JFRV/family-based APRC

There is section in post #1 on spouse APRC application.
Regardless of what is written in English, your actual application really depended on the designated officer in your local immigration office.
He/she/ze/they may request additional documents when have doubt on your application/ability to financially independent/actually married/actually working/etc.
Outside Taipei City, only 1 officer per office, so be nice. You can’t have a second opinion on the matter.

Your application could only start after you have same type of ARC for your 6th year. Not on the 5th year.

1 Like

My experience, post office ATM card that has Visa logo on it, it will locked after “suspicious” transaction abroad.
Had an almost embarrassing moment when the card rejected after several successful attempts.
Later, I check the balance still there. The card just simply auto locked.

Did you advise post office to activate card for overseas use?

No I did not.
It was workable in the beginning.

It happens also when I use it to do UberEats when visiting Tainan/Kaohsiung.
Once or twice working, then goes kaput.
I guess you should ask to make it available.

Lots of bank and other cards are by default Taiwan use only unless you activate overseas use. I just got new HSBC taiwan card advised did not want to activate overseas use

If I am switching from JFRV to APRC, do I need anything from my wife? ID or anything else?

As far as I can see, I just need a Taiwan criminal record check and proof of income. And a completed application form with photo of course.

I haven’t been out the country for more than three months so I don’t need a medical or criminal record check from my home country.

I just applied via this route. Wife needed to be there with id. Just give the office a call to reserve an appointment and they’ll tell what you need.

1 Like

Is that always the case? I couldn’t see anything about that reading online. I’d prefer to get the APRC and then tell the wife.

I think so but don’t quote me on it.

Oh yeah not just wife and id, also recent HHR document showing you’re still married.

The APRC officer at my local NIA office told me they need either my wife to come with me to the interview, OR a signed statement from my wife saying she knows I’m moving from a JFRV to an APRC. In both cases they also need her ID, recent HHR printout, and our marriage certificate.

Seems they don’t want foreign spouses getting an APRC without the spouse’s permission. Nothing about this rule on the web, so seems it’s a condition made up by this branch.

Also I was told income requirement for a foreign spouse is $100k in savings, no salary requirement. But apparently this varies between branches too.

It seems slightly unfair that local NIA officers can just make up arbitrary rules.

So strange. Leaves the Taiwanese spouse with the power.

When you are switching from work based ARC to APRC, you also still need to show the company statement that you are working in said company.
At least that was my experience back in 2015 in New Taipei City.

After this, when you change the card, you need nothing like this.