APRC Eligibility for foreigners with Taiwanese parents

Hello Everyone,

I have been working in Taiwan for the past 5 years and I am beginning the process of applying for an APRC.

I was born and raised in a foreign country, therefore I have never had Taiwanese citizenship. However, the NIA has informed me that I am not eligible to apply for an APRC because my parents are Taiwanese.

Under Eligibility, it states that “(1) A foreigner who has legally and continuously resided in the State for five years and for more than one hundred and eighty-three days each year” are eligible for APRC.
Since I do not have Taiwanese citizenship, I believe I am not a ROC citizen, thus making me a foreigner. Am I missing something here?

Has anyone had a similar experience? And what was the solution?

Thanks

The NIA seems to be saying that if your parents are both Taiwan nationals then you are too. Did you ask them for a passport?

3 Likes

Yes, but unfortunately I would need to give up my own passport in order to get the Taiwanese one.
We were just surprised that I am considered a Taiwanese, even though I am not an official Taiwan citizen.

No you won’t. If you are born to Taiwanese parents, you are already Taiwanese. Coming as a foreigner is a mistake that has wasted a lot of time, but not necessarily much harm done. You won’t lose your other citizenship because you are already officially Taiwanese. Switch to a TARC and get full rights after a year.

The requirement to renounce citizenship is for foreigners naturalising. You can’t naturalise, you’re already Taiwanese.

1 Like

Better check with your other country of citizenship what happens if you find out you are a dual-citizen before pursing this further. Some countries have some laws and regulations about what you need to do to keep both citizenships.

Or just keep quiet about it.

1 Like

Perhaps this is one of the rare circumstances being a national without a passport is considered a plus? Eg. germany and other backward countries, this might actually olay into your hand, sort of.