APRC holder marrying an Indonesian - can she work?

I am a Hungarian living in Taiwan for 28 years. A good part of it I was married to a Taiwanese woman, I had the dependent ARC for a long time, then in 2018 I got the APRC.

In the beginning of this year I got married with a woman in Indonesia, and I’d like to bring her and her two children (not mine) to Taiwan.

1. My understanding is that I can get a dependent ARC for her, but she won’t be able to work, (Getting the dependent ARC is a whole different topic, planning for her to first come here on a visitor Visa then apply here - anybody has any advice on that?) Then after 5 years she can apply for APRC and then she can also work. Is that correct? Is there any way to let her work even before then - she didn’t graduate from University…

2. How about the kids? If she’s here with the dependent ARC, does anybody know how the kids can stay with us?

3. As a dependent ARC holder I’d assume she can have National Health Insurance. Is that correct? Can I also pay for National Health Insurance for the kids?

Any help would be appreciated!

This is all exactly correct. She can be your dependent, but can’t legally work as a dependent or get an APRC for 5 years. However, there was something in the news that it may be reduced to 3.

Very unlikely, except for being a migrant worker which would probably separate the two of you. You can check the non-English teacher jobs foreigners can apply for and their qualifications. A tour guide is one, but may require a degree. There is a category for Indonesian-speaking tour guides, but she’d need to be fluent in Chinese and take qualification tests (at least one in Chinese) and know a ridiculous amount of intricate details about Taiwan to pass.

Yes. I think your employer pays half and you pay half for your insurance, but you’ll have the full price for hers deducted. Probably the same for kids.

I don’t know about bringing non-relative children here, but it may be possible. At worst, you’d need to adopt them in Indonesia.

1 Like

As for kids, if they are minor, they might get their ARC as her dependents. You may check it with BOCA/NIA.