APRC--leaving for 5 years?

Hello folks I saw a thread from a few years back regarding the APRC and how long one could and could not leave Taiwan for once it was obtained. I was wondering if anyone had more up to date information / knew where to find it?

Kind regards.

2 Likes

IIRC it depends on whether you get it via work or marriage. If you obtain it via work, you can stay away for just under 5 years.

Let’s see if anyone can find the original thread and confirm or contradict my statement.

2 Likes

APRC Info

Under Part 7 Notes:

Article 19 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals says:

So my understanding is you can stay outside Taiwan for…

APRC as Spouse of Taiwanese < 0.5 years

APRC as “Foreign Professional” or Spouse thereof (I guess this means white collar worker according to link) < 5 years

APRC as “Foreign Special Professional” (Gold Card) or Spouse thereof < 5 years link

4 Likes

To be more specific:

APRC Spouse of a Taiwan National < 0.5 years
(applied for APRC on the basis of Article 25 in the Immigration Act)

APRC Spouse of a Foreign Professional (all types) < 5 years
(applied for APRC on the basis of Article 16 in the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals)

2 Likes

Is applying for this easy or just a formality to do before leaving? I think as I understand you need to apply once before leaving (reapply every year?.

I believe for the APRC spouse < .5 years you can get an exemption of up to 2 years if you apply with a “legitimate reason”

Obviously the Foreign Professional route (including spouse) is preferable.

2 Likes