APRC update for new passport

Sorry for being a bit lazy…

I have one of the old number APRC, just got a new passport with different number so need to update.

If just updating passport number & presumably getting new type ID number what documentation is required? Is it $1000 for the update? and how long does it normally take?

• Old passport
  • New passport
  • Current APRC

Anything else

nivek

Information update is normally free of charge.
You also need to bring a new photo for the card.
it’ll take 12 working days.

1 Like

Unless the policy has changed, they can use the same photo. That is everything I needed when I updated mine. Just be aware that you have to update your bank accounts, your NHI card (and then update that at every hospital/clinic you go to), and any other important account you used your APRC to apply to.

Assuming that he is an APRC holder for some years now, NIA might ask for a new photo.
Some branch might be lenient on this, some might not. In my case, they asked for a new one.

It would be better if they disconnect passport from APRC. Taiwanese have no passport number on their ID card, or as far as I know no one from other countries have their passport number on their national ID.

Less hassle, less stress and saving cost for all parties.

4 Likes

But then what about all the foreigners who would let their passport expire and thus become unable to leave the country :runaway:

1 Like

They do have the ID number on their passport though.

I think the passport number is also on the APRC so airlines can verify you have residency, a name, dob etc is not unique to match the passport and APRC.

What happens if you don’t update your APRC? I am way over due in this, got a new passport last summer but have not updated my APRC. Doesn’t seem to cause any issues flying in and out except Egates don’t work?

I did it a couple of months ago. No cost and fairly straightforward. While you’re at it, get your NHI card updated….and all your banks accounts.

Updating the banks was a hassle… I had 5 banks to go to earlier this year… Totally unexpectedly China Trust was the best/fastest with only a couple of forms and 20 minutes… Other banks were like 1.5-2 hours each… so a real pain…

2 Likes

FWIW; To update completed a short form available at the door, only required to show my new passport and PARC. In addition was required to submit a photocopy of the new passport together with the application… which you can do at their office (I didn’t have when first reaching the window).

There was no cost, took 2 weeks to process (I didn’t ask if there was a express service). Surrendered old APRC when picking up the new one.

Fairly painless… though I have not updated any banking deets or nhi, etc.

1 Like

Hello! For those that already updated their APRC, could you confirm whether the APRC number changed or is it the same one as before?

In case it didn’t change, how fast did you have to update the new APRC to the NHI and banks and did it have any impact in the day to day while you updated it?

Thank you!

If you currently have the old ARC/APRC number format (two letters at beginning), then when you update any information on your ARC/APRC you will be updated to the new number. If you already have the new number, it won’t change again just because you are updating some information.

1 Like

Thank you! I do have the new number type so I guess the only change will be that the APRC issue date and the passport number will change.

In this case it’s not necessary to notify the banks or the NHI, is it? :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Allegedly, the credit office is now informing banks of the change in numbers. That parts works peachy.

Logic says that if you already have the new nomenclature, then you only need to update the passport number. There might be a stray bank or two that might require update but NIA will just give you a new card.

1 Like

Assuming your ARC number stays the same, then it may not be necessary to update NHI, banks etc.? I don’t see why it might cause an issue there unless they are using passport as a primary ID, in which case they may notify you when your original passport expires and ask for an updated one.

I had to update my new ARC with the bank, they had my old ARC with its expiry date on file, and their system starts groaning when it is close to expiring. The update was definitely not automated for me, they sent me an email telling me to come in. The other thing where I almost got caught out was they had my old passport on file which I also had to update. The tricky thing was I couldn’t identify myself with my new passport, in order to update the ARC, lucky I had a debit card issued under the account with me, they took that as ID.

CTBC and HSBC do this

Yeah if ARC expires then you can’t use many banking features like online banking, wires, etc. But I wonder if updating passport number is merely optional and you still get access to all online banking features? I haven’t been asked for passport even when I go in to do an in-person wire transfer, and I don’t remember any passport number fields on bank account opening forms - they only ask for ARC and nationality from what I recall at ESun, Huanan, etc.

You can keep using along as they don’t notice you card is different to the one they have on screen, as soon as they do you will have to update everything there and then.

They are more likely to be scrutinising your ARC/APRC when you trying to sort out some other service so may make the whole process longer, may be better to get it out the way.