ARC/APRC: "work based" vs. "marriage based" (vs. "gold card") advantages and disadvantages


It refers to people who applied for their ARC/APRC’s as a professional at the time of application. It does indeed cover Teachers, and most “white collar” jobs, where experience/qualifications , were required. Plum blossom/Gold etc , different again.
it does NOT cover, if you have applied for the “marriage based” ARC , as it should.
“After you’ve obtained an APRC from a JFRV ARC you have to stay 183 days per year or the APRC can be revoked. However you can apply for leave of up to 2 years exemption of this rule. (The new 1 day in 5 years rule does not apply to those who obtained an APRC from a JFRV ARC.)”


What source are you quoting from?


Public group on APRC advice , quoting NIA Regulations


I still think this is wrong. This seems to be the relevant item:


It doesn’t say anything about the method you used to apply for your APRC.


Unfortunately the 183 minimum yearly stay for those who got APRC based on marriage ARC is correct. Out of this world!! So if you need to leave for more than 183 days and come back you become 0 again, start it all from scratch even if you have a family and Taiwanese kids, you become the same as some foreigner who come to study Chinese or whatever. And as for the guy who worked here sometime in the past and left, they can stay out of the country for 5 years and come back as if nothing have happened.

This infuriates me!!

Work ties make you more welcome than marrying a Taiwanese or having Taiwanese children. The 183 days minimum stay should NOT be required anymore for foreign spouses and parents. If they need working people and not housewife/husband than make it a requirement that spouses or anyone who got their APRC through marriage ARC must be working for at least n years or whatever. But it turns my stomach that I married, have Taiwanese kids, WORK, and still I am treated less welcomed than someone who came here just for working and want nothing to do with Taiwanese people, only because I got APRC after marriage ARC.



That was the problem…it’s buried in small print…I just went through this with a friend a few weeks ago at NIA . Even they are unclear. but did eventually confirm as per @owleyes post


I wouldn’t trust anything a random immigration officer says. They’re known for talking out of their ass and giving bad information. This sounds like something that needs official confirmation. I’d like to see this so-called small print.


I have called, visited and asked several people several times at the NIA. This new policy amendment was modified only for APRC holders who applied through work ARC. I have friends here who feel and express Taiwanese people are disgusting (marriage and family material wise and they would never get involved), but got their APRC via work ARC and are laughing at their privileges against people who have families here. The government should make a requeriment then that APRC holders via marriage should be working if they want their tax money so bad above family morals.

How can you keep the doors open for professionals, and not for professionals who happen to be also your countrymen spouse and parent?!


Really hoped they were mistaken :pensive:


Did they show you a rule in writing that stated this is the case? If not, I wouldn’t take their word for it. Usually, things like this are clarified in the 施行細則 (enforcement rules) after a new law comes out. As far as I know, these haven’t been set yet.


No, they didn’t show any written confirmation. But even their superior confirmed that the benefit was only for work ARC APRC holders. I found out about all this nonsense in November. I will look into that again and try to find it in Chinese fine prints. :disappointed:


3. National Health Insurance - NHI
++ Marriage ARC: Enrolled in NHI, at least through spouse
++ Work ARC: Enrolled in NHI through employer
– Gold Card ARC: Need employer, or after 6 months can enroll on own

Are you sure this is correct for a marriage ARC? I was under the impression that this also required a 6 month waiting period.


During a recent social event the government mentioned if the New Economic Immigration Act is passed in its current form, Gold Card holders can apply APRC after 3 years.


No, not sure. This doesn’t apply to my situation, so I didn’t ask for information on this one…


According to the NRI that I visited today, with marriage based APRC you can leave for up to 2 years if you apply for it first.

Also, I guess if you return after being away so long as to “loose” the marriage APRC, you actually have it much easier to get an APRC again compared to a newbie: assuming you’re still married, you should be able to apply immediately, if you have resided 183 days in at least 5 years out of the last 10 years.


The NIA couldn’t give me definitive answers today, even after consulting a Chinese language laws and/or regulations book. They asked me to call a colleague, she is not in the office today. I’ll ask once they’rte back to work (I guess Wednesday 2nd) and update here.


That is correct. But that’s a case by case scenario. It is not you apply and garanteed to get it, as it is the breeze 5 years away from work APRC. They make it clear that it depends and each and every situation and you can get denied.

Not if you have divorced. How about the foreigners with Taiwanese kids?
Also, I don’t think you can get it back without residing for continuous 5 years. Please let us know once you confirm it since you said it was only 1 clerk who told you about it.

I will do my research also and update.


No, not sure. This doesn’t apply to my situation, so I didn’t ask for information on this one…

Yeah, I think you have to go through the six month waiting period.

Also, I don’t think there is a 183 day minimum for a marriage ARC, my understanding is that this is only a requirement if you change from a marriage-based ARC to a marriage-based APRC.


++ Work ARC to Work APRC: no stay limitations. Can apply after 5 years residency (183 years) continuous (maybe if married also the 10 year rule above, I’m clarifying this). But no open work permit, so need to apply for work permit when changing jobs.

I thought if you get an APRC through work ARC (ie. 5 years, 183 days), you can apply for an open-work permit?

  • Marriage ARC: has work right. no need of any kind of work permit.
  • Work ARC: you need a work permit to get this ARC. In addition, you cannot work at other places, unless you are a spouse of a ROC citizen.

Open work permit is mostly for APRC people who are not spouses of ROC citizens.

I think that is why non married people get APRC in most cases. It gives them independence from their employers.

that is why married people get APRC. It gives them independence from their spouses.