ARC ending - no grace period? Extension questions

Hello all,

My ARC is coming to an end in a couple of weeks, but I have to go to work on the same day that my ARC expires. I work until 10pm so it’s actually impossible for me to go to work and then fly out of Taiwan on the same day.

It seems crazy that the government doesn’t even give us a few days to pack our bags and get to the airport. I’m literally being forced to overstay.

Now, I’m aware that it’s possible to extend my ARC. But I went to immigration last week and they wouldn’t process my application. They told me to come back on THE LAST DAY of my ARC, with a letter from my employer saying they have terminated my contract.

Now my questions are:
How long does it take to process the ARC extension? Because surely I can’t leave the country until this is taken care of.
Wouldn’t I technically be “overstaying” illegally while they are processing my application? What if they decline my extension and then I’m fined at the airport for overstaying?

The system seems quite ridiculous :fume:

Call information for foreigners and get them to check the immigration law for you. I’m fairly sure you have ten days grace period. 0800024111. When they check ask for the specific article of the law and then double check it with the NIA.

Hope this helps.

I’m in the same situation. I just signed the Contract of Termination for August 17th, but need to stick around for a little while after to get my affairs in order. I thought they extended the grace period, but I can’t find any information on it.

If Zeno or anyone finds out more, post in here please.

I ended up getting my ARC extended by 3 months. I had to get a “letter of termination” from my employer and fill in an application form. I just ticked the box for “sightseeing” as my reason for wanting to extend, and there were no problems.

I’m looking at doing this exact thing in a couple weeks. Did you actually have to go on the LAST DAY before your ARC expired?
You needed the contract termination statement and a form for the Immigration Agency in Xionanmen(小南門)? And that was it?
The process almost sounds too simple for Taiwan, haha

isn’t it alway 90 days since 2013? Before it was 2 weeks if I recall correctly.

I went to the Immigration Agency today and they confirmed that all you need to extend your stay in Taiwan past your ARC expiration date is to bring in the contract termination form from your current employer. They will then extend it for 90 days.
Seems like this option is only available for Americans though…

Smart! Go to immigration and ask. While you are discussing your particular situation, get a name card. Good to have if someone disagrees with a colleague. Each day will have a different opinion for each person and each situation. The permutations are endless. Nobody will give you the straight poop unless you go to the Banciao Immigration Office. Smart people there abide.

[quote=“kdaz”]I went to the Immigration Agency today and they confirmed that all you need to extend your stay in Taiwan past your ARC expiration date is to bring in the contract termination form from your current employer. They will then extend it for 90 days.
Seems like this option is only available for Americans though…[/quote]

Can anyone confirm that the 90 day extension is only for Americans and not other nationalities?