ARC expiring soon :((

Hello everyone.
I want to ask if anyone here has gone through the same experience or if you could tell me what can I do?

I graduated from a master’s degree last year, since then I’ve worked in two different schools as teacher, both schools said they would provide ARC, but at the end none of them were able to do it. (I am a non-native) my ARC will expire next month and, even though I’ve tried to find a new job that can provide Arc to a non-native teacher, I haven’t succeed. I am planning to join a Chinese course. However, has anyone done that before? Did you necessarily have to leave the country and process a student visa to get in again? Or did you do something different?

Thanks for reading. Hope to hear from you guys!

What kind of ARC do you have currently?

In theory you should be able to change without leaving the country.

1 Like

Why not apply to a uni position? A few people on here might be able to point you in the right place.

My current ARC is like “job seeking” status.

Haven’t found any offers :pensive:

Heya, I ran into a similar situation back in 2020. Graduated from a Master’s programme in Taiwan and had the same job seeking status that was set to expire. Called NIA and they told me I couldn’t extend my ARC by enrolling in a Chinese course :smiling_face_with_tear: Still, you could try to give them a call and see if it’s possible. Wishing you the best of luck!

2 Likes

@Pinoco

NIA says

An application to change reason for residency under Article 23 Paragraph 2 of the Act shall be limited just to the reasons specified in the subparagraphs thereof (such as for joining family, employment, and investment) and the situations specified in Article 8 of the Foreign Professionals Act. An applicant wishing to change to some other reason not included therein (such as for attending school or missionary work) must still first apply for a resident visa with the Bureau of Consular Affairs, and apply anew for an ARC only after obtaining the relevant resident visa.

BOCA says

Foreigners who come to Taiwan to study Chinese must submit the documents and pay the visa fee at the nearest ROC embassy, consulate or representative agency to apply for a visitor visa.

Those who have already studied Chinese for 4 months and carry on with their enrollment for at least 3 months, if with other conditions also qualified for a residence visa, may submit their application(at least 1 week earlier before the end of the legal stay of their visitor visa)to the Bureau of Consular Affairs or one of the branch offices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taichung , Kaohsiung, Chiayi or Hualien for converting to a residence visa (Please refer to RESIDENT VISAS FOR STUDYING MANDARIN CHINESE).

1 Like

Did you have to go abroad and process your student visa?

1 Like

There is plans to allow a 2 year extension to graduates rather than only a 1 year extension, though that may not be passed within the timeline in your case… worth keeping an eye on though. Otherwise you leave and process the visa overseas or maybe visa-exempt entry again.

To encourage foreign talent to work in Taiwan, those who study in Taiwan can extend their residency for a year after graduation and another year if needed, the amendments say.
MOI proposes extensions of stay for some foreigners - Taipei Times

If you have worked at the schools the they should have provided a work permit, i don’t understand how you could work there on a “job seeking arc” without one.

The schools don’t provide an ARC but rather a work permit from MOL, that you then take to NIA to apply for an ARC. You have 1 ARC but can have multiple work permits.

the op is working illegally.

if you are a language teacher, you need to find a school that has a course of your native, l mean passport, language.

4 Likes

Crazy, even with the recent hike from a 3 year ban to a 7 year ban for working illegally, people are still willing to take a risk working at a school without a permit.

fines for foreigners who overstay their visas and engage in illegal activities in Taiwan would be increased from between NT$2,000 and NT$10,000 (US$65 and US$326) to between NT$10,000 and NT$50,000, it said, adding that offenders would be barred from entering Taiwan for seven years.
Family residency rules to be relaxed - Taipei Times

2 Likes

This isn’t correct.

Taiwan ain’t all that great. I’d imagine a 3 to 7 year ban wouldn’t bother some people all that much.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely! It’s truly mind-boggling how people just can’t resist the allure of working illegally at a school without a permit, even with the thrilling prospect of a seven-year ban hanging over their heads. Who needs legal protections and fair labor practices when you can indulge in the exhilarating game of job roulette? It’s like a high-stakes adventure, where the possibility of financial ruin and legal consequences only adds to the excitement. Clearly, common sense and the law just can’t compete with the thrill of dodging regulations and potentially ruining your professional reputation. Kudos to those brave souls for embracing the forbidden fruit of illegal employment!

According to their original post, the schools told them they’d be getting a work permit/ARC and then couldn’t/didn’t supply one. It seems like OP went this route through desperation rather than choice and would have preferred to work legally.

And if the alternative was having to leave Taiwan because they couldn’t find a job after finishing studying here, maybe the possibility of an entry ban isn’t the end of the world. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I hope more people were as comprehensive as you in this world. Thank you, Andrew

2 Likes

Which country are you from?

I understand how things may have led to the situation you are in. Though advice I would give here is not to engage in illegal activities, if any such activities are ongoing should cease.

To solve your visa situation i would suggest looking at the WDA website and seeing what work permit(s) you maybe qualify for and looking for a job that is inline with the regulations to provide it.

Wish all the best!

1 Like

I agree. Best of luck!