ARC revoked?

I have a question. If currently have a VISA which says RESIDENT, though it is stamped with the word “USED”, I also have an ARC card which expires in September of 2010. If I stop working for my current company, does that mean the ARC is immediately revoked? Do I have to get another ARC immediately after that?

What would happen if I quit the current company that I’m working for, stayed in Taiwan for a couple months, and than two months later, applied to a different company for work? Would the government see that the ARC had lapsed, and not allow me to get another ARC?

I was also looking at getting a student VISA, because I’m really interesting in going to school, and not having to work. However, the office told me that if I wanted to switch from a ARC to a Student VISA, that I would have to leave the country(to somewhere like Hong Kong), and apply for it. Is there anyway that I could make this happen without leaving the country?

I’m so confused at this point, thanks very much for your help!!!

– shaun

[quote=“scpedicini”]I have a question. If currently have a VISA which says RESIDENT, though it is stamped with the word “USED”, I also have an ARC card which expires in September of 2010. If I stop working for my current company, does that mean the ARC is immediately revoked? Do I have to get another ARC immediately after that?

What would happen if I quit the current company that I’m working for, stayed in Taiwan for a couple months, and than two months later, applied to a different company for work? Would the government see that the ARC had lapsed, and not allow me to get another ARC?

I was also looking at getting a student VISA, because I’m really interesting in going to school, and not having to work. However, the office told me that if I wanted to switch from a ARC to a Student VISA, that I would have to leave the country(to somewhere like Hong Kong), and apply for it. Is there anyway that I could make this happen without leaving the country?

I’m so confused at this point, thanks very much for your help!!!

– shaun[/quote]
Here’s the thread you should have read before asking. Search the forums for answers first, then ask if your answer can’t be found. :no-no:

How long after quitting can one stay in TW before leaving?

[quote=“The illustrius [color=#FF0000]Icon[/color] on March 31, 2010”]One more time:

The date you must leave depends on the date your work visa was cancelled, and this means that it depends on when your boss/company sent the paperwork to NIA/CLA etc. saying you are no longer under their employment. Standard is one or two weeks after they cancel your work permit.

[color=#FF0000]They are in no obligation to inform you of when that date is [/color]-and by they I mean your boss, NIA, CLA. If you go and ask NIA, they will give you the exact date, but they -NIA< CLA, whoever else- will [color=#FF0000]NOT[/color] inform you out of their own accord. So, [color=#FF0000]you have to find out on your own.[/color] This also comes handy if you need an extension to settle your affairs.

Now, and here comes the tricky part: the date you have printed on your ARC is just a reference. It becomes invalid the minute it is not backed up by a work permit. It does not mean you can stay until the date printed there.

You would need to get out, and come back as a visitor, then look for another job -unless you have anotehr job offer, in which case that’s another whole different deal.[/quote]

Thank goodness I already have this ready. As previously stated:

[quote]The date you must leave depends on the date your work visa was cancelled, and this means that it depends on when your boss/company sent the paperwork to NIA/CLA etc. saying you are no longer under their employment. Standard is one or two weeks after they cancel your work permit.

They are in no obligation to inform you of when that date is -and by they I mean your boss, NIA, CLA. If you go and ask NIA, they will give you the exact date, but they -NIA< CLA, whoever else- will NOT inform you out of their own accord. So, you have to find out on your own. This also comes handy if you need an extension to settle your affairs.

Now, and here comes the tricky part: the date you have printed on your ARC is just a reference. It becomes invalid the minute it is not backed up by a work permit. It does not mean you can stay until the date printed there.[/quote]

Now, yes, if you wanna stay here, you must give the G’ment a good reason, whether it is to study or work at another comapny.

Yes, they normally make you leave when switching from work visa to student visa. Why and what for? Beats me, but that’s the way they say it must be done.

Well, you would be slapped a nice fine and banned from one year to five years from Taiwan, basically, for overstaying. As said, the date on your ARC means nothing without a work visa to suppor it, and your work visa is canceleed when you quit and your boss removes it from the system at CLA/NIA. The date is just reference.

The G’ment will see the visa expired the next time you want to leave the country or do anything that requires some official ID.

In summary, cross your T’s and get a new job/enroll at school and plan your departure from current job carefully.

Rats, after all that typing, the quote is already in.