ARC & Tourist Visa Question

Hello all,…

At what point in the ARC acquisition processes does your tourist visa become obsolete? – that is, when can I not worry about overstaying my tourist visa?

For example: I arrive in Taiwan with a 60 day visa; after 30 days I find a job and my employer begins the ARC application process – at this point I have 30 days left on my tourist visa. At what point will the residency visa override my tourist visa? Does it normally take longer than 30 days to reach this point? How can I verify that this point has been reached?

I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Someone more knowledgeable will step in with a more complete answer… but here’s half-an-answer in the meantime.

Your employer applies for a work permit. You get the ARC, not the employer (though your employer might help you). My understanding is that you are permitted to stay once the ARC has been granted. So it needs to be granted before your existing visa expires. I’m not sure how long it takes, but mine was done within about 3 days - but that was almost 3 years ago now.

If your existing visa is close to expiry and is extendable, it might be possible to extend it against a letter from your employer saying they are going through the work permit procedure.

Standby for a more authoritative answer!

Thanks for your reply.

What does “granted” refer to? Does it refer to the physical handing over of the ARC or an earlier phase? If an earlier phase, what is it followed by? Can one work legally once the ARC has been granted (and therefore after ~ 3 days from the time your employer applies for you)? – If so, that’s not bad, at all.

And (my apologies for the newb questions) where does the health check fit in to this? Does it need to be completed while my legitimacy in Taiwan is still linked to my tourist visa? (In China we worked for several months before having our health check completed – but they use an entirely different system.)

I’m not in Taiwan now – but will be soon :slight_smile: Trying to work this out (cognitively) sooner than later as to avoid confusion while I’m in the thick of it.

Thanks again…and I will continue to look for already posted info – in efforts (vain) to not look like such a noobie!

–archylgp

Actually my understanding is the process goes in this order.

1. Apply for work permit. Health check is required for this.

2. Apply for resident visa once work permit is obtained.

3. With a work permit and resident visa you must then apply for an ARC.

To save time and later delays go to the hospital and get your health check done as soon as possible after you arrive in Taiwan. As long as your visitor’s visa has not yet expired and you have the work permit you should be able to apply for a resident visa in Taiwan.

[quote=“wix”]1. Apply for work permit. Health check is required for this.

1. Apply for resident visa once work permit is obtained.

2. With a work permit and resident visa you must then apply for an ARC.[/quote]

And to answer the original question, once the resident visa is granted in step 2 then your original visitor visa is no longer an issue. If the resident visa is issued within Taiwan then you would need to apply for the ARC within 15 days after that.

Health checks are not required for all jobs. They are required for English teaching and “blue collar” type jobs. But not for “management” type jobs…

(Not sure what kind of job you’re looking for…)

[quote=“wix”]2. Apply for resident visa once work permit is obtained.

1. With a work permit and resident visa you must then apply for an ARC. [/quote]

I understand the OP might apply for a resident visa to enter Taiwan to take up employment against his permit, or if his existing visa (or visa exempt entry) cannot be extended and he needs to leave and come back. But otherwise if he is already in Taiwan can’t he just get the ARC against his work permit rather than going via a resident visa?

In order to apply for residency within Taiwan, one must have an extendable visa. Typically a visitor’s visa issued by an overseas representative office or embassy is extendable. A visa-free entry is not extendable and is not exchangeable for a resident visa/ARC.

Even if applying in Taiwan, one must first apply for a resident visa through BOCA, then once granted go to NIA to exchange it for an ARC within 15 days. You cannot get an ARC without getting a resident visa first.