ARC when birthplace in HK or Macau

Anyone here know if birthplace in HK or Macau will have these same issues? My wife’s US passport lists here birthplace as China (we’re pretty sure previous passports listed Macau) so not sure if that’s gonna be a problem and whether she can easily change her US passport to show “Macau” again.

Are you asking about applying for ARC or Gold Card?

ARC, no issue.

Gold Card, I don’t know. They don’t seem to have their shit together.

It doesn’t matter what it says on her passport. They will require her birth certificate, and it will be pretty clear where she was born.

She can do that when she applies for her next passport. The US passport application form instructs you to write “City, Country” as your birthplace (in the case of overseas births), so I don’t know why she just wrote “China”. Next time she should write “Macau, China”.

In any case, it doesn’t matter. As I said, it will be pretty clear where she was born just by looking at her birth certificate.

Oh yes sorry, I’m totally not asking in the right thread. For us it would actually be APRC that I’m curious about.

She actually got her ARC without ever providing a birth certificate. Actually neither did I, for that matter. Our US passports and marriage certificate were good enough. We provided birth certs for our kids.

The requirements around providing proof of renunciation for APRC/GC/Entrepreneur visa got added by NIA 2 years ago due to escalating cross strait issues. Before that you only had to prove you’ve been living abroad and acquired foreign citizenships.

Yes for APRC it’s required if passport lists China as birth place. I would just change her passport to say Macau if possible but I’d look into regulations first or ask NIA.

ARC is different, you don’t need to provide proof of renunciation or birth cert.

Don’t see how it’s reasonable to require renunciation in order to get a temporary visa. It leaves people stateless and NIA has been changing the requirements every 1-2 years.

2 Likes

the easiest way to know should be to ask nia.

people who (might) have (had) prc nationality cannot apply for arc without another passport anyway, so they won’t become stateless.

1 Like

Could you link to the regulation with the renunciation requirement which only applies to those categories of ARC?

1 Like

it seems if you enter the country with visitor visa or visa exempt and apply for alien residence certificate in taiwan, you are also required the proof regardless of the type of your arc.

the proof is not required for residence visa, but you should provide other documents upon request, so might be requested it.

don’t think there is any regulation directly says so, but these ones are relevant, maybe.

Immigration Act
Article 25

Aliens who have the nationality of the State concurrently shall not apply for permanent residence.

Article 35
The competent authority shall enact regulations that govern a procedure for applying for alien visits, residence, and permanent residence in the State, documents that shall be prepared, qualifications, types of certificates to be issued, effective periods of certificates, investment products, administration and application of funds and other matters which must be complied with.

Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area
Article 95-4
The Implementing Rules of this Act shall be prescribed by the Executive Yuan.

Enforcement Rules for the Act Governing Relations Between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area
Article 7

The phrase “People of the Mainland Area who reside outside the Mainland Area” as used in Article 3 of the Act shall include people who were born in foreign countries and hold passports issued by the Mainland Area, but exclude the following persons who have resided abroad for over four years and who:

1. have obtained citizenship of the country where they reside; or
  2. have obtained permanent residency status of the country where they reside and hold valid passports issued by the R.O.C.

Household Registration Act
Article 15

Those who don’t have domestic household registration shall make Initial Household Registration if they meet one of the following conditions:

3. A citizen from Mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau who has been approved to reside domestically.