Are Canadian and American food different or are they made to look the same in Taiwan?

There’s a difference between iconic and staple.

Secondly, in Canada, you’re often eating what your parents serve you, that often means that you eat food from the old country as staple meals.

There is no unifying meal.

2 Likes

Butter tarts
Nanaimo bars
Saskatoon pie
Moose stew and bannock
Newfie steak, anyone?

https://thepieacademy.com/maple-butter-tarts/

3 Likes

Hamburgers too. The US is good at that kind of stuff.

Guy

I was suspicious until I tried one. It was the best bagel I ever had, we consumed a bunch of them out on the sidewalk :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ST-VIATEUR! :heart_eyes:

It’s a bagel shop in Montreal with the best bagels I’ve ever had.

Guy

3 Likes

That’s the one!

2 Likes

That’s the one I went to as well!

2 Likes

That would be great, but none of these are what I would consider ubiquitous.

I hadn’t even heard of Nanaimo Bars until the early 10s.

The last three, I haven’t even heard of until your post and at most might be limited to niche restaurants.

Outside of Poutine…it’s not that easy to find restaurants or things like this. Italian restaurants are far more ubiquitous.

1 Like

From a west coast perspective, I’d say that the cheap sushi and sublime dim sum in Vancouver and environs easily thrashes their counterparts in Taipei or elsewhere in Taiwan.

In fact I’d say the Chinese food in the Vancouver area is far better than the Chinese food in general in Taiwan.

I don’t think there’s anywhere in the US that can compare.

Guy

5 Likes

Your dentist thanks you. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

I’m with @Marco on this one. Yeah, you can find a few items that are “canadian” but there is no real canadian cuisine.

2 Likes

They weren’t even sold until the late 2000s. I saw them for the first time in Niagara Falls in the early 10s. I just figured it was just some rando BC shit.

I should preface for others who don’t read between the lines, this is my experience from my neck of the woods. Your mileage may vary.

Nanaimo bars made it to the prairies a lot earlier than that.

Mostly home baking, church events, places like that.

Guy

If you’re ever in Richmond…
EVERYTHING is good here.

1 Like

Don’t disagree—the Asian supermarkets, beef noodle places, etc. in Richmond are first rate. :: Chef Hung Taiwanese Beef Noodle :: (chefhungnoodle.com)

2 Likes

Except Taiwanese Beef Noodle shops are ubiquitous and are as numerous as stores selling glasses.

Every breakfast shop sells Danbings.

etc…

I can go on.

Can’t wait to get back to YVR! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

If I see a Canadian restaurant, I expect poutine on the menu and Thanksgiving and Independence day promotions will come a month before the US ones.

Why you need you’re own Thanksgiving I’ll never know…

Those are just variations on Chinese food. You can’t put maple syrup on a hamburger and call it Canadian.

1 Like

If we waited for US Thanksgiving to celebrate, we’d be buried deep in snow.

Either way, it’s still a racist settler holiday!

Guy