Are countries finally going to start pushing back against China?

US secret sauce is immigration, and Trump nearly fucked that up.

China has the advantage of having shit loads of people though. Even if their education system is inferior, just by the scale of population, they can always find talent

1 Like

Indian immigration 2019
Canada 95,000
US 129,000
(No idea how many are programmers.)

Now remove the ones who applied based on “family” and separate out the highly skilled workforce. ( highly skilled doesn’t mean just programmers. There are plenty of highly skilled people with masters and PhD in tech, management, finance, law). It won’t be a lot.

I know, I’ve friends there. It’s a horror for a highly skilled person to get a green card. Who wants to wait 10 years? In 70s and 80s it was easy. You got a GC almost immediately. Now, frankly, it’s not worth it.

This is exactly what Israel does, building settlements deep into the West Bank.

I’d like to know the numbers for Taiwan.

It’s there on the immigration website

Well, it doesn’t mean they won’t either

You’d be surprised at how and why that wouldn’t surprise me

OK, fair enough

An article about how the surge in imports, mostly from China, is overworking longshoremen in LA.

Absolutely agree.
China has many very smart people. Just by dint of sheer numbers .
Where they will fall down is culturally . They are too mono ethnic and controlled.
And the Chinese language , which has acted as a great wall and unifier in China for thousands of years ,. Also acts as a very formidable barrier to stepping outside of China. Will Chinese just settle mostly on exploiting the Chinese market …Probably.

One thing that will hold China back in near future in terms of ‘new energy’ are the plummeting birth rates and aging population.

It’s a real pity China has been forced to be so monolithic …Would have been so much better to let s thousand flowers bloom. What an exciting place it could have been !

1 Like

I mean, I dont agree really. Compared to the US, they definitely fall down in terms of diversity of thought and backgrounds, but we should be careful. Tiktok is arguably one of the the most global dominant cultural forces of the last two years.

Our system and culture is better at fostering creativity and global openness, but that just is a competitive advantage, doesnt mean we necessarily win.

Well I guess you are right. The Roman empire lasted hundred of years . But they didn’t have much competition.

FIFY

Hannibal would disagree, there must have been one or two others?

Actually, i don’t mind that so much, mostly because I don’t think there is a chance in hell of a 2 state solution for palestine/isreal. Hamas and PLO should just give up.

Awesome, need more of this

3 Likes

Well, there were the Parthians, to be followed by the Sassanids.

1 Like
1 Like

Companies love Chinese money until China bites back.

1 Like

I hear that the Russians and China have teamed up and plan to move away from the SWIFT bank system and have developed their own.

Yeah it’s called China Russia Arbitration Protocol. CRAP has a big future.

I also heard that they have planted listening devices in your underwear.

I saw it on YouTube.

Sorry it was a bloke down the pub.

Sorry I just made it up to get attention .

1 Like

Remember BRICS?