Are countries finally going to start pushing back against China?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/trump-administration-pushing-to-rip-global-supply-chains-china-12699672

Trump’s China policy has been defined by behind-the-scenes tussles between pro-trade advisers and China hawks; now the latter say their time has come.

“This moment is a perfect storm; the pandemic has crystallised all the worries that people have had about doing business with China,” said another senior US official.

“All the money that people think they made by making deals with China before, now they’ve been eclipsed many fold by the economic damage” from the coronavirus, the official said.

2 Likes

Does that include Ivanka?

Guess: this will last till Ivanka finds out she has to pay living wages in America. Or there’s always the possibility she can shift her sources to Bangla Desh.

Sigh. Why does every thread get hijacked and turned into a Trump discussion?

3 Likes

If you want to sell it in China, you have to make it in China, no? Isn’t that why Elon Musk built a factory there?

The headline you posted says “Trump administration pushing to rip global supply chains from China: Officials”
And then you complain about other people making comments about Trump?
I guess that your real meaning is “Why are all those nasty people complaining about that nice Mr. Trump?”

1 Like

Nice try.

The thread is about countries pushing back against China. Trump is the president of the US so when the US takes action (or discusses taking action) against China, it’s necessarily going to involve Trump.

If, say, Biden was the president right now and there was a report he was planning to take action against China, somebody using that to complain about his son’s dealings in China would be guilty of the same politicking and thread hijacking you’re guilty of.

1 Like
1 Like

You think that would ever happen? Dems pushback against the CCP?

BEIJING, May 4 (Reuters) - An internal Chinese report warns that Beijing faces a rising wave of hostility in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak that could tip relations with the United States into confrontation, people familiar with the paper told Reuters.

The report, presented early last month by the Ministry of State Security to top Beijing leaders including President Xi Jinping, concluded that global anti-China sentiment is at its highest since the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown, the sources said.

As a result, Beijing faces a wave of anti-China sentiment led by the United States in the aftermath of the pandemic and needs to be prepared in a worst-case scenario for armed confrontation between the two global powers, according to people familiar with the report’s content, who declined to be identified given the sensitivity of the matter.

The report was drawn up by the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations (CICIR), a think tank affiliated with the Ministry of State Security, China’s top intelligence body.

Reuters has not seen the briefing paper, but it was described by people who had direct knowledge of its findings.

“I don’t have relevant information,” the Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson’s office said in a statement responding to questions from Reuters on the report.

1 Like

If this paper exists, the person(s) who wrote it up must be taking some sort of crazy pill. So you’re telling me that the proper response to getting blamed for causing a pandemic, is to prepare for war? That’s utter bullshit. Would any country decide to go use military force to attack another country over who caused a pandemic? If anything, countries would just demand they acknowledge fault like a mature, responsible person would and find ways to make reparations for the problems they caused.

I wouldn’t be surprised, really I wouldn’t, if China has fucked up their response to this virus so badly that releasing the infected into South East Asia and West into the Stans to destabilize the region as much as possible is on the table. They have no plan. They simply respond.

BTW, if you think I’m nurtz, Iran has kicked out Afghani workers and refugees. Sent them all infected and penniless back into Afghanistan where there’s no way flatten the curve.

Also, in Nepal, according to my neighbors, who are from there and have family there, the Army is in the streets “enforcing social distancing.”

:idunno:

I didn’t say that. I said whoever wrote the Chinese report.

Anyway, using the military to enforce emergency measures and going to war are two separate things. That’s like preemptively striking another country that has not shown any desire to use military force. Perhaps China misinterprets defensive drills as military provocation.

I did not think you did say that.

The pandemic isn’t going to directly cause war, but it’s increasing tensions.

Here’s a not-unrealistic scenario: the pandemic fallout causes countries to follow through on their tough talk about decoupling from China. If China loses its status as the world’s factory in the coming years, Xi and the CCP are not going to be able to deliver on their economic promises to the Chinese people. China’s economy was already faltering before coronavirus and the country has a huge debt and currency problem.

Economic woes are likely to create significant tension internally and a logical response (one that we’re already seeing) is for the CCP to stoke nationalism. If things start coming apart at the seams, a desperate CCP could take action that leads to conflict in the Taiwan Strait and/or South China Sea.

2 Likes

This guy knows what’s up. China is this dude…

Right. Let’s make sure we never mention President Xi when we talk about U.S. actions against China in the Covid-19 America thread. Or Kim Jong Un if we talk about North Korea. Or fear to let Boris Johnson’s name cross our lips if we are, say, talking about UK co-operation with America.

Huh? You brought up Trump’s daughter’s trademarks in China. It is irrelevant to the Trump administration’s reported plans to “rip global supply chains from China.”

I get it. You don’t care for Trump or his family. He’s not my favorite person either (to put it nicely). But there’s no need to hijack this thread with a discussion of his daughter’s trademarks in China. Again, it’s irrelevant.

No, it really isn’t. His daughter? You mean the one who is an official White House advisor, as shown by her security clearance ? And her husband, referred to by WH staff as “de facto president”?
This like like raising your hands in horror at the thought of someone launching a political attack on the President’s brother. Kind of makes a difference whether it’s Billy Carter or Attorney-General Robert Kennedy.
Donald Trump has made it clear from the start that he sees the White House as a tool for enriching himself and his family. That’s why Ivanka obtained those trademarks- because the Chinese government was trying to create a favorable situation for a deal, aka bribery. I brought her up because I believe Jared’s and her greed will cause them to sink any attempts by others in the Trump administration to ‘rip global supply chains from China’.

1 Like

herp derp, I don’t see you raising the word of caution when Biden’s son get’s a billion dollar investment from China.

Might seem relevant. Perhaps.

3 Likes

Thomas Piketty is not a Nobel laureate.

And there are serious problems with that book.

2 Likes