Are employers legally required to give payslips?

Are companies legally required to give payslips to employees?

For context, my employer just tells us to go our banks online banking and print the pay transaction details. Problem with that is that it’s not a particularly official looking document, with no company logo, or signature/stamp. It doesn’t even say employer name… if your salary is paid into Hua Nan, then you know the struggle. This can cause problems when applying for credit cards, and I’m guessing a mortgage in the future.

I’m hoping there is some law that states that employers are required to give payslips, so I can use this to get them to start giving them. They are for some reason, opposed to it, likely because their system doesn’t allow for automatic generation, and it would be a hassle for them to do it manually with so many employees.

This site says it’s required, but I see no source.

Employees must be issued with payslips for each pay period, and payroll records must be kept for at least 10 years.

Article 23 of Labor Standards Act - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

An employer shall keep a worker payroll roster in order to record entries such as wages payable, the details of wage computation and the total sum of wages paid. This payroll roster shall be kept on file for at least five years.

I guess that’s what the above article is referencing, but does not mention about requirement to give payslip, unless I missed something using the search function.

I did miss something:

Article 23

Except as otherwise agreed to by the parties to a labor contract or when wages are paid in advance on a monthly basis, wages shall be paid on a regular basis at least twice a month; the details of wage computation must also be provided.

3 Likes

I run a local company and my CPA provides a table journal entry at the end of each month for salary, which has details like NHI and labor computation. At the end of the year they’ll give out tax statements for all employees and contractors that the company paid, which is required for reporting to the government.

No employees asked me for anything else yet so I’ve just sent them the end of year tax statements. I guess if they need proof (more than just a row in journal) then the company could produce something and stamp it but this adds some inconvenience for the company.

Turns out I didn’t need to threaten my company with Article 23 of Labor Standards Act. I just asked, not even particularly nicely and they said OK. Probably should have tried that before. Sorta forgot being civil works sometimes :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I thought they are required for tax purpose. But that may be given at the end of the year. It may be informal and all that (such as an envelope containing your pay, etc.) but it’s still required.

When you continually face hassle and excuses and May ban fa over simple stuff, you start preparing for the worst.

1 Like