Are ferries from mainland China still running to Taiwan?

I’m having trouble finding any up-to-date information online. Is it sill possible to take a ferry from Mainland China to any ports in Taiwan? I know they run to Kinmen, but I am looking to get to Taiwan proper. Any insight would be great!

I don’t believe so. At least none that I know of. Between the pandemic and Xi’s belligerence, any direct ferry services are probably a thing of the past.

Also, no one here really calls China “mainland.”
[Mod note: If you want to discuss this, do it here: https://tw.forumosa.com/t/also-no-one-here-really-calls-china-mainland/238092/24]

2 Likes

Yesterday, I saw the cross-border transportation section in the Alipay app; seeing this question, I checked to see if any ferries were available, and there are some, e.g., Fu Ao Harbor (TW) to Fuzhou (CN).

1 Like

That’s in Matsu. Yes it goes to the mainland, but not quite Taiwan per se

2 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: Also, no one here really calls China “mainland.”

I never knew there were ferries from Matsu to China. I have a ten-year Chinese visa that’s going to waste so maybe I’ll check it out for the experience. Unfortunately, Fuzhou is the only Chinese city I’ve ever visited in the past (besides Hong Kong and Macau) and it was underwhelming for me.

1 Like

Apparently about half of Fuzhou now lives in NYC so I’m not surprised :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve never been to Fuzhou, but if you’ve been away for a while there’s a decent chance it’s been rebuilt a couple of times over since then. Might be worth another look. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Very good Fujianese snacks in NYC—better than what I can find in Taipei (though not K-Town, which is very good at this too). Love the fish ball soups!

Guy

1 Like

I don’t doubt that because when I was there in 2018 construction was going on everywhere! Probably a major reason the city didn’t do much for me.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you are finding these insights helpful :grin:

7 Likes