Are foreign teachers leaving? Have hours and pay been cut?

Not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting he’s having an affair with his boss?

No…I’ve run into a couple of big talkers who’ve claimed some extreme income numbers thinking I gave a rats ass on how much someone makes. I’ve put in those kinds of hours teaching in class and prep and 150k sounds unrealistic, to me. I also wonder how f’ing boring your buddy is in class unless he’s rote teaching. Maybe it’s just me but, after 20 hours of talking to kids/adults I hate the sound of my own voice.

2 Likes

When I was still teaching, working at a cram school I was working all day and getting home at like 9 o’clock. Couldn’t have worked more hours if I tried and the max I could make per month was 100k. Maybe you could get more than that if you were given a management position, but as a regular teacher at a regular cram school, I don’t see it being very feasible. I’m now earning less than that as an engineer, but working hours are less and career prospects are much better.

5 Likes

No, his kids are constantly the best of the best. Highest scores in the better private schools and on the tests like TOEIC and the Cambridge series. I’ve heard his coworkers comment that it’s like the kids IQ jumps 20 points just from him walking in the room. There’s no way I could talk that much either. My voice gets hoarse after 4 hours of WFH net meetings now. But he’s been in the same system for years, so there wasn’t any prep work until it moved to WFH. He said it’s like starting over again now.

1 Like

It’s simple math. 900/hr x 39hr x 4wk. I think he said he started at 650/hr years ago. With good evaluations and test scores, he gets consistent raises every semester.

Some friends of mine share screens of some of the ‘requests’ made by bosses since remote teaching began. It’s basically their golden opportunity to pick at their employees 24/7 over line. What I’ve seen is a small sample, but it’s a gross feeling just reading it.

It’s more the frequency of the interjections, trying to constantly look over shoulders and micromanage teachers and their personal styles. If I had to deal with that, that line convo would be muted in a bubble away from work hours.

2 Likes

Good for him then. It takes a different sort.

Indeed.

Now is the time to pick up privates. They’re there for the taking.

4 Likes

Interested to know how you jumped career path. And what you see as career prospect.

I was working in the IT field before I was teaching. After teaching for a few months I jumped back into IT.

My privates have all decided to postpone classes. It’s been a nice vacation for me but it’s starting to be too much of a good thing, so to speak.

2 Likes

Your experience is different to people I know. I’m guessing that your private classes are adults?

Yes, all adults. I do have a couple of kids, but they’re children of the adults I teach, so they’re all hunkering down together.

The adults who want a break from their kids is the target market.

1 Like