Are leases absolutely needed to apply for ARCs?

The first time I applied for an ARC renewal under the “lease requirement” rule was three ARC renewals ago. I didn’t have a lease and couldn’t get one, so I just went down to the Immigration office with my other stuff and said something like, “I don’t think I have everything that I should have, but this is all I have. Can I get an ARC?” The person behind the counter renewed my ARC.

The second time, I had messed something up or forgotten something having to do with my paperwork (I don’t remember what it was), so I couldn’t get the ARC processed that day anyway. As I was about to get up and leave, the person behind the counter informed me that I would also need a lease. I told him that I didn’t have one, and he told me that I had to get one, and that I should come back and see him specifically. I didn’t get a lease, but I came back the next day, and instead of seeing the guy from the day before, I took a number and wound up seeing a person who happened to be having an animated, friendly telephone conversation while she processed my paperwork. She didn’t ask to see my lease, and I got my ARC renewed.

The third time, which was about a week or so ago, I showed up with some kind of statement from my neighborhood leader, or block leader (I’m not sure what the right term is), saying that I lived at such-and-so address. I also had a bunch of electricity bills for the same address (although they were not in my name). I had those things out so that the person behind the counter could see them, and my boss had already discussed the issue with someone at Immigration. The man behind the counter probably saw the statement and the bills, but he never asked for them or examined them. He just examined my work permit, passport, etc., and stamped the back of my ARC.