Are more foreigners banned from 1 Jan 2021?

Enter with just their passports you mean?

Passports , contract, work permit and probably a visa of some sort

Yes, TECO will paste special permits to enter on their passports.

1 Like

Have they said in writing they are still doing this?

A. Non-R.O.C. nationals may enter Taiwan if they meet the following conditions:

1. Foreign nationals: foreign nationals may enter Taiwan if they hold an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC); for diplomatic or official business; to fulfill contractual obligations; for special humanitarian reasons; when they are the spouse or the underage child of an R.O.C. national; or when they obtain other special permission.
  2. Hong Kong and Macao residents: Hong Kong and Macao residents may enter Taiwan if they hold an ARC; to fulfill contractual obligations; as part of internal transfers within multinational enterprises; when they are the spouse or the underage child of an R.O.C. national; or when they obtain permission under special programs.
  3. People from Mainland China: people from Mainland China may enter Taiwan if they hold an ARC; when they are the spouse or the underage child of an R.O.C. national; or when they obtain permission under special programs.
    B. Travelers transiting through Taiwan are temporarily prohibited.
    C. Short-term business travelers eligible for shortened quarantine periods in Taiwan, except for those who have obtained permission for their application, will be required to complete the 14-day home quarantine.
    D. Suspending acceptance of entry applications for international medical care purpose. Special cases or emergency medical care cases are not subject to this rule.

If this is the latest restrictions.

1 Like

Nothing on the grapevine about letting people in that have had their vaccines?

No.

The bits and pieces I’ve heard from Minister Chen include the view that vaccines are part (and not even the most important part) of “normalizing” the situation in Taiwan. Why? The vaccines we know about are presumed to be helpful in preventing the inoculated individual from getting seriously ill from the virus—this is very good news indeed. They do not, however, seem to stop the spread of the virus. In other words, an inoculated individual could still carry the virus and transmit it to others who may or may not be vaccinated.

For these reasons, Minister Chen maintains (at least this is how I understand his position in early 2021) that mandatory quarantines will continue, and mask wearing and hand washing will continue to be encouraged, even after the roll out of vaccines—at least until we get global immunity (perhaps in 2023? 2024? who knows?).

I hope this helps.

Guy

2 Likes

I guess it’s better than nothing
:person_shrugging:

1 Like

It’ll be part of the solution.

Just don’t expect the authorities in Taiwan to swing open the doors open to vaccinated individuals simply because they have been vaccinated.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Taiwan’s potential already-vaccinated entry policy is listed here. I’ve seen elsewhere that Chen has mentioned that the country would open up once 60% of domestic citizens are vaccinated (I think this is in reference to tourism and the like)

1 Like