Are Taiwanese People Racist?

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Gman”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I was in a fast food joint this afternoon as I was starving, and the table next to me was empty. A woman came and edged the table about two inches farther away from me than it was. I thought, hmm, this could be perceived as her wanting to avoid me because I am a foreigner. Bloody racist.

The woman dropped a bag on the table and left to go buy her meal. Meanwhile, another woman came and sat down at the table, thinking it was empty (she sat next to me whereas the other woman had placed her bag on the far seat, so I didn’t say anything).

First woman comes back and gives the other the sourest look. The second asks if this was her seat (now seeing the bag) and the other barely grunts a yes. She then proceeds to sit sideways so she doesn’t have to face the other woman.

So I hadn’t encountered a racist, but someone who just didn’t want anyone near her (or maybe she was a racist-misanthrope combo).

In that situation though WWFHT (what would forumosans have thought)? :laughing:[/quote]

So? What’s your point? You could have told us the lady came in muttered anti-foriegner curses at you and all you would have been able to say is that you found a single racist in the country. Big deal, surely your not suggesting that you could judge a society based on encounters with a single individual? Whether racist or not. If you are going to judge a society you do it on the basis of their laws and how those laws are applied you also look at their media and how news and incidents involving other races are treated by the press.[/quote]
Are you Taiwanese? Does irony utterly elude you?[/quote]

Actually, point out the irony for me in MM’s post Jimi. I get that he’s trying to make some point about percieved racisim in individaul interactions. Big deal, I can find you a racist in every society the important question isn’t whether I may encounter an individual racist. The important consideration is how the society as approaches the treatment of minority races. Also it is relative. As I stated earlier I find Taiwanese society more racist than my home Country however if I grew up in South Africa maybe I’d have a different perspective.

Spock:

This wouldn’t happen in Canada; forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 75&t=86488

another topical thread; JFRV holder denied captain's license exam