Are the police corrupt?

Releasing crucial details of the murder investigation while it is ongoing goes against everything cops are taught.

You are supposed to keep details confidential so you can narrow down the suspects and also stop prejudicing the investigation .

2 Likes

No, not always. Sometimes they leak information on purpose to help nab the criminals. Each case is different. Id agree with your statement about ā€œmost of the timeā€ or the majority of cases, but not all.

1 Like

That would be incompetent, not corrupt. Could also be a cultural thing. Iā€™ve become inured to having my doctor reveal anything about me to his staff/anyone within hearing distance.

2 Likes

As the original description was including moronsā€¦
Cultural is not an excuse for unprofessional.
I donā€™t think the police are are smart enough to play any game with suspects.

Unprofessional can be cultural. Usually is.

Then cultural idiots ?

Why?

Indeed

Observing their behaviour over the years . Giving away key details of the case to the press continuously.

Having had a very long career in law enforcement, (30 plus years) internationally, two things spring to mind, the releasing of pertinent information to the media seems to be compulsive, I believe this has a certain, look at me Iā€™m really on top of this, arenā€™t I good mentality. My second observation is, how many of these guys actually want to be cops, it seems like get a good score in the public service examinations and then see what ,job you can scrape into. I donā€™t see a lot of crime solving CUNNING at play, its more like its all text book driven, check the security cameras, pay off the informants and if that doesnā€™t work wait for the evidence to come to you. I donā€™t see endemic corruption, if you want to see that go to Indonesia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and anywhere on the African Continent and a few other basket cases. I do see laziness, ignorance and great dollops of complacency.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of corruption too, I just linked to two cases.
Sure they arenā€™t on the street looking for bribes from traffic enforcement, however we all have heard of cases where evidence mysteriously disappears or the local cops donā€™t follow up properly (like the recent Spanish surfer attempted murder case, it clear it was the prosecutor that pushed the case but the local police themselves were actually hindering the case ).

3 Likes

Itā€™s not only for taiwanese police.

You sir are a genius.

Taiwan is also not the only country with sausages in the world.

You lost me there with your argument.

Itā€™s not.

You certainly have a lot of confidence in European cops and obviously have never met any of them. Tell them you got robbed or were attacked by someone, they would literally laugh on your face.

And American cops are fair? Is this a joke? They practically shoot people for fun.

3 Likes

This is what the US Department of State has to say about its embassies:

The primary purpose of an embassy is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in the host country

In order for the police to be corrupt, there must be enough money from the organizations to corrupt them. The gangs and dealers here are not that powerful with money flowing in like that where they can buy people off.

Are they corrupt in terms of their Loyalties to Taiwan vs China. Yes, many high officials would sell Taiwan over for a dime.

I see those cases too, but in the main they are senior ranks and way more entrenched in the system, these are the guys looking to pad out the superannuation package. Like I said its isolated not endemic, it doesnā€™t make it right. Bit like the Catholic Church and its grubby pedo priests.

What I do see is sheer incompetence and a fair degree of nepotism and cronyism, heck welcome to Asiaā€¦ And that is the shit that is controllable with good old fashioned discipline and a willingness to be on the job 24/7.

1 Like

There is no US embassy in Taiwan.

This is correct. There are very few embassies in Taiwan.