Are there any stores cheaper than PXmart/Carrefour near Zhongzheng District?

Youbikes are great for affordable and pleasant short journeys. In Taipei, they’re free for the first 1/2 hr, too. Night time riding is fine (be careful of night time drivers), the weather is cooler. It’s way cheaper than the MRT for one or two stops and you always get a seat which you don’t have to give up for an older person!

1 Like

Yeah I only went there to get some exotic waisheng item. It’s fun for that though

I can’t find it online but Family does a comparable Fish Burger. I think it’s $69 about 350 calories.

In our neighborhood, there was a lady selling baked goods late at night. I think she must have bought them from a closing bakery at end of the night, and was reselling them later to hungry people going home at 11pm. She did a fairly brisk business. I haven’t seen her lately, though.

It was mostly cakes and pastries so calorie-dense foods. I think people were buying them for breakfast. I have no idea where she sourced them… but it was a viable business, esp. if the goods were fresh enough. In the heat, though… I don’t know.

1 Like

Ohh I miss Life and Gyomu Super too :sob: I could just stuff my fridge with frozen veggies for the equivalent of 400 NTD.
If you are craving the Japanese style fried fish or chicken, the Donki in Ximen has those kids of dishes. Though Donki here can be quite overpriced.:sweat:

2 Likes

Oh they’re free for 30 minutes? I didn’t even know that, but don’t I still need to buy a TPASS to ride it? Or is there some way to ride it without some sort of pass?

I think I’ve seen what you’re talking about, but it’s actually a shrimp burger. I’ve only had shrimp a couple times in my life, but I guess I might as well try it.

Hmm…

Yeah it’s way too overpriced for me, in fact I was chuckling my way through the entire store, taking pictures of all the items that were priced 3-4x the normal price in Japan, until one of the staff eventually told me no pictures. Happily left without spending a dime :smiley:

1 Like

Also, a few days I bought 1600 grams of “Quality Noodle” for NT$100, was that a good price? I hope… I’m snacking on them now (I don’t really know how to cook so I’m just eating them dry).

Tried to find anything (nearby temple, nearby 五折天), utterly failed and got lost again :face_exhaling: This is painful for my body so I think I’m gonna quit trying to find these places for now…

You need to have an Easycard with some $ on it. Then you need the app on your phone, so you can register. Insurance is mandatory on Youbikes from July 1st, so I’m not sure how to register if you don’t have an ARC. I did it so long ago.

Nick Kembel’s article indicates a valid credit card for non-residents is available, as an alternative for those without local phone numbers. Ultimately, insurance requires tying the Youbike user to a real person for obvious reasons.

Nope. It’s 白沙魚 or White Bass. Nice. I had it today, and this time I checked. It warned me about bones… but I never found any. Not that I’m disappointed.

Oh… those are three requirements I can’t meet :confused:
Easycard costs NT$500 and while only NT$100 gets eaten off the card, I don’t intend on spending NT$400 on transportation… I don’t have a properly working phone so u̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ t̶h̶e̶ a̶p̶p̶ h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶s̶ t̶o̶ w̶o̶r̶k̶ o̶n̶ m̶y̶ e̶m̶u̶l̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ o̶n̶ m̶y̶ c̶o̶m̶p̶u̶t̶e̶r̶, I don’t think I’m able to register. I don’t even know what an ARC is but I don’t have insurance either so RIP I guess…
Just installed the app on my computer and it worked but…

NT$3000 deposit is crazy… definitely don’t have enough on my cards right now. Also seems the article is implying that without an EasyCard and Taiwanese phone number you can’t get insurance…

Alright thanks, I’ll try to find it right now actually :slight_smile: I will test if it fills me up significantly more than the egg-cheese sandwich from 7/11. I’ll try and take pictures in case I can’t find it so I can show you what I saw, because last time I don’t remember seeing any fish burgers but maybe it was just me…

Just tried “fish filet burger”, it was NT$60 (vs. NT$65 egg-cheese sandwich)
did not find a white bass 白沙魚 burger.
The fish filet burger is good, but there a few things that make 7/11 the better experience:
i have to microwave the burger in the plastic, vs the egg-cheese sandwich being toasted in a specially made toaster, without the plastic on it. I don’t enjoy microplastics and I initially tried to take the burger out and put it on some cardboard thingies I found in the drawer under the microwave, but the cashier stopped me and made me put it in with the plastic…
the 7/11 is across the street, around 70m away for me, while the closest familymart is about 300m away… not sure if it’s worth the extra walk just to eat, and the main reason i even buy the egg-cheese sandwich from 7/11 is because it’s close by so i don’t have to walk all the way to carrefour just to get one item. As for whether it filled me up any more than the egg-cheese sandwich, I don’t think there is a significant difference. The portion is about the same (very small for the equivalent of US$2)
Here are the pictures of what was available (it’s been just about the same every time I’ve been in a FamilyMart

I’ve never tried bass before, so I was excited to try it, but maybe some other time I suppose.

IIRC for NT$50 you can get a chicken burger plus a drink at McDonalds. Probably tastes a lot better than those convenience store burgers.

3 Likes

OK You got me. Is this a parody account? :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

Thanks, I took some pictures of some parts of their menu before actually…

Anyway, I’ll check, thanks, but I did look at McDonald’s many times before (also by the way, I don’t eat meat, except fish), and I did buy fries once there, but it’s like NT$69 or $75 for large fries I believe. Not worse than the US for sure, but definitely not worth the far walk for a singular meal. I did find another one 850m away but that’s almost 2km round trip and it’s probably less effective/efficient to walk that far for a single meal…

Not really, my name is in the process of being changed so it’s not like a joke or anything like that :sweat_smile: and it’s what I have everyone call me in Japan too

Download the app and register an account. They offer buy one get one free from time to time. Nuggets, drinks or fries. Currently they have this offer for large fries.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll see if I can get it on my computer… or maybe it’ll still work on screen mirroring with my phone
but wait, is it possible for me to get the deal without showing them the app or something? like is it a code I can just write down and tell them?

well I’ve just checked the “fine print” and it says it’s only applicable to McDelivery, and it forces me to try and select a delivery location (it’s definitely going to cost more money to deliver it)

I think you have to go to a night market for the haute cuisine

1 Like

You should learn to boil water, then you can have instant ramen.

1 Like

I know how to boil water, but I don’t know how long I’m supposed to put the noodles in, how much water in comparison to the amount of noodles, how hot the water needs to be, etc.
Also I don’t feel too keen on using the cooking supplies they have here… Let’s just say this place is the exact opposite of a 5 star hotel
and the person who recommended it to me said something about cold… something, so I didn’t even know if I was supposed to cook them at all (I tried dipping them in my water and it just made the outside mushy and the inside was still hard, which made it taste disgusting that way, so I opted to eat them dry)