Are there any stores cheaper than PXmart/Carrefour near Zhongzheng District?

Get water boiling in a pot. Use lots of water

Throw noodles into boiling water, stir occasionally so they don’t stick

When noodles are cooked to desired consistency, remove from heat, drain, and enjoy

5 Likes

It’s honestly pretty difficult to screw up instant noodles. I can only think of two ways — eating them dry and dipping them in cold water — and you’ve apparently already tried both of those. So there’s nothing to lose at this point.

Until they’re soft. Just leave them for five minutes, ten minutes, whatever.

Hot. Just boiled is fine.

Just cover the noodles with the water. If the container starts overflowing and spilling water onto the floor or work surface, you’ve gone too far.

5 Likes

Or maybe just get some cans of beans, calorie dense. Stick them in the sun for a while before eating :smiley:

3 Likes

I just tried this. Eating the can hurt my teeth. I am not sure what to do. I’d like to visit a dentist but it is more than a few hundred metres from my flat. I am still hungry but now with sore teeth.

Sorry I got distracted. What is this thread about again?

Guy

6 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I still would prefer not to use the cooking utensils this place provides, but I will keep it in mind for future times if I buy noodles in Japan

:sweat_smile:I somehow managed to try both those methods first

good to know, thank you

got it :slight_smile:

Aren’t beans actually kinda expensive here? If I remember correctly
But sounds good, I could really use some beans right now

Yeah it kinda hurts at first but I developed a technique to eat it safely, so basically I gather a bunch of ~20 noodles or so, and then I crack off an inch with my left front molars closest to the front of my mouth, then move them to the right back molars and chew on them parallel to my teeth surfaces. Unfortunately though, it often feels like I consume nearly as much energy as is gained just to eat them…

Cheapest stores and food :smile:

Just to make sure, you’ve been unwrapping the noodles first, right? There’s often plastic packaging around the outside, and that part isn’t for eating. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

It was a 1600 gram bag and it doesn’t have any extra wrapping on the inside, resealable bag…

FYI
McDonalds started a new campaign today
https://campaign.mcdonalds.com.tw/summercouponin2024/

Can save some money if you like eating there from time to time.

1 Like

Thank you,

大薯
單點$66加$1多1件
上午10:30後供應
代碼A01

NT$67 for 2 large fries? as long as it’s after 10:30 AM?
I think I’ll use this deal today actually!

Only thing I’m wondering is, if I just tell them about the deal is it enough? Should I write the code? I don’t have a phone screen that I can show it to them on easily. I think I’ll write it just in case

The ordering touchscreens should have those deals on the menu. Last campaign there was a deal category with all offers.

Oh I see, I never got to use them in Taiwan because they never allowed me to select fries alone for the order, but I’ll see if it works this time! Thanks

It worked, there was a button called “summer deal” or something like that, and it had the deal on there, and was able to order just the deal, very nice!
Lately I’m a bit impressed with some prices in Taiwan :slight_smile: Unlike in the US, this McDonald’s coupon was the real deal :sunglasses: And before this, I found a sweet spot in timing big Carrefour’s discounts on some of their baked goods, and was able to get quite a few fulfilling deals for a good price. I’m grateful, this is one of those rare days I get to feel satisfied by a meal :smile: 2 large fries for basically US$2 is truly one of the greatest deals of all time!
Thanks again for sharing @slawa

1 Like

It had similar deals in march.

6 piece chicken nugget buy 1 get 1 free.

I don’t know how they do this, maybe they’re trying to push the big Mac index on Taiwan lower. Or maybe because McDonald’s is losing sales.

1 Like

Keep in mind that one can get less than half that price by having a camp stove, pot and cutlery. Less than a $2000nt investment, new. Even at the most expensive prices of potatoes. Easier (no need to go out, everything stores well, can save on that), supports local jobs (mcdonalds is fast trying to cut jobs via cashless and automation and is basically not worth supporing unless a person actually enjoys their food) and way healthier (you can buy better oil, or no oil, and not have their sub par potato mush fried and nasty). The most expensive I ever buy imported potatoes is 15nt each for the long dirty US ones. Round sweet ones are more, sometimes. Supporting local farmers can be up to 200nt /Jin (600g), though the local chemical grown ones are comparable in price to the US imported ones. They differ in that ts tropical/sub tropical here, so they rot easier. They are also way fresher than the imports. Which means shelf life is shortened. Easy to plan around with such a stable staple as a potato.
also note, most retailer outlets with discount sales are doing away with either expiry or contamination related risks with the fda. It’s not a deal, it’s a cash grab before dumping into the trash. Some things are fine and just based on beaurocracy, others are important to be aware of. I avoid them personally, especially the likes of mcdonalds, which is suspect as f*ck on their best day, never mind there “promotions” to dump their bottom back corner of the freezer. They are already really expensive as per local standards. Like PX mart. except beef, their beef is cheap compared to taiwanese norms as beef isn’t a huge commodity compared to other meat species.

You’re talking about someone who eats noodles dry because he has absolutely NO idea how to cook even basic noodles. I’d be concerned he’d set his house on fire.

2 Likes

Fair point. But adults have no excuses not to learn basic life skills i suppose. If one is THAT lazy, just accept the higher price brackets. Given the lack of effort, those price points aren’t even that unfair. Px/Carrefour are cheaper than restaraunts and “convenience” stores.

It’s very easy to eat for 100nt ish a day, and eat decent enough nutritionally. If I rely on 711 type foods, I can spend 1000/day and still feel malnurished/hungry. It’s unsustainable buying that polluting unhealthy trash. It’s also EASY to cook at home, even without a kitchen.

Camp stove $500ish
Gas cans, maybe $10-40/meal
Pot free-expensive
Cutlery $10-30

Then just buy ingredients. Buy8ng dishes here is stupid cheap. Buying ingredients is super easy and can be had quite cheap if one looks.

I cna spend over 15k a month for food on myself, withor going fancy (local rice/noodle type stuff). I cna cut that to about 5k buying and cooking. And I eat a LOT of protein and vegetables!

7-11 food is for convenience ONLY. I can eat probably 500 worth of their food a day, based on the stuff my uncle gives me (he runs a 7-11).

If the OP is feeling all hungry all the time, it may actually be worth it to just eat a single meal at an all you can eat restaurant. This is going to be anywhere from 400-600 each time. Then you can just pig out and be content for the day.

Otherwise, Churchill’s fish and chips is 289, and is pretty filling.

Or you can eat rice, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and add some vegetables to that. Not the most filling but if you really are that poor, this is a good way to make rice palatable.

1 Like

I don’t think I could eat very well on 100NT per day, and I get cheaper meat and veggies by not shopping at those places for them.

But absolutely cheaper to cook and eat at home. I dont get the myth of cheaper to eat out. What you get out is slivers of low quality meat, small quantities, unknown ingredients (probably the cheapest). Pound for pound, cooking at home is cheaper. Ok, if someone wants to have a soup, and 3 or 4 other little dishes, and a dessert, that isn’t feasible for one person at home.

2 Likes

That would actually be very filling. But lacking nutrition. You would be full and starving at the same time :wink:

1 Like