Are there any young Taiwanese that prefer to use only Hokkien instead of Mandarin?

Prefer for younger Taiwanese to discuss this rather than observers.

1 Like

You’re literally asking in English on an English-language site about and for foreigners living in Taiwan.

Your options are going to be limited here.

19 Likes

If you want to hear the opinions of younger Taiwanese people this is probably not the place, this forum is mostly populated by middle aged westerners. The only poster that I know of that might fit into this demographic is @Gain, and it’s not really a discussion if there’s only one person stating their opinion.

I’m a young Taiwanese. The answer is yes.

I know a handful of young Taiwanese who work in factories in southern Taiwan who prefer Hokkien.

Edit: I just noticed you asked “ONLY Hokkien”. Obviously not. How is it even possible to only communicate in Hokkien? Lots of people don’t understand it (including me).

2 Likes

Actually it is.

I think very few and mostly only the least educated, gangster type ones.

Aren’t you from Hong Kong?

6 Likes

Really depends here, don’t discredit hokkien/taiwanese. The southern u go, the more local u get. Have a few under 30 friends of my wife from the south who mostly speak taiwanese/hokkien among themselves, they r all uni graduates and not from the countryside

1 Like

I didn’t?

He said “only”. That’s incredibly rare.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s almost impossible. Haven’t heard of any unschooled person below maybe 90

1 Like

Those are not mutually exclusive.

I’m also a middle-aged foreigner by some definitions, which is the only reason I’m here.

5 Likes

They should make Mandarin illegal until you’re in junior high in order to restore Hokkien.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I’m considered young anymore at 32 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’ve tried to learn on my own but didn’t get too far. I do understand it on a basic level as my grandfather used to speak Taiwanese to me.

Or just add it as a course instead of the broken English they teach in public school.

1 Like

I’d say 32 is young. My son is older than you lol.

John is a spritely 74 year old Taiwanese

Don’t they already do that?

1 Like

I got through the 3rd grade in the Taiwanese system and didn’t take any. Maybe @Gain knows more if they do when students are older.

Taiwanese is already taught in school. It was mandatory for many years, but I believe now the options are Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, and a couple of other SE Asian languages.

Students are encouraged to pick the one that is spoken in their home.

You forgot Hakka tsk tsk.

2 Likes

It’s not actually assessed on the report card though, right, so I am guessing that quality varies dramatically. My kid has been in the class for years and asking him now he can’t say a single word, not even Hello. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Then they can make Hokkien illegal until elementary school to restore aboriginal languages.

2 Likes

Should be mandarin illegal, teach Hokkien OR Hakka OR aboriginal languages.