Are You Happy With The Educational Path You Took?

Only 5% said never finished school. 12% said other. I don’t think you can assume that the others all didn’t graduate. I chose other because I would not have gone to school for something else, I would have done the same again and hoped the results were not the same.

Forumosans are an edumakated pack of mofos. I’m looking forward to eventually getting my PhD in some pimp shit (like pimponomics or something.) I realized my first year in college that the shit was going to piss me off to no end, so the second semester the only class I went to was Chinese (which I got an A in :smiley:.) I want to go to school when I don’t need to go anymore (if that makes sense.)

BA–studied philosophy, which I mostly liked. I was a motivated but not disciplined student–looking for the meaning of life in books other than the ones I was expected to read. In retrospect, I wish I could have gotten out of logic (I lack the entire right half of my brain. Or is it the left half?) and also avoided certain…disciplinary problems that caused be to have to switch to another school mid-way through. (Isn’t arson supposed to be a sign of sexual frustration?)

MBA–I decided to do this because hey, how could I get a job with only a philosophy major? They should never have let me in (21 years old, no work experience) but Thunderbird needed the money, I guess. I got kicked out for low grades, then came back years later and finished. One of my classmates recently gave the school 60 million US dollars, so they renamed it after him. I am such a failure. Anyway, I hated business and should have studied something I liked, like New Age stuff or comic books. Or at least taken Chinese courses. Instead I took optional courses in incomprehensible subjects like banking, that brought my GPA down to an unsalvageable level.

Ph.D #1 So after wandering around Asia for a few years, I finish at Thunderbird and decide to study weird New Age stuff at this little school in California. Great courses, great experience studying what I always wanted to, and now it is mathematically impossible for me to ever repay my student loans. (I think–I’m not so good at math.)

Ph.D # 2 – Hey bismark, I’m a Unisa grad too! (Philosophy.) Have you been to Pretoria yet? I had a great experience studying through Unisa, but these days I fear the political situation might have ruined it. (Bismark?) I did these two degrees simultaneously, and they were about equally difficult.

And then I decided to go back to school to study Central Asian stuff. Would have gotten one degree from each continent except I met Mrs. Jesus and sacrificed by education for her sake.

In my heart, though, I feel my true calling is to practice medicine. :smiley:

In retrospect, if I knew 20 years ago what I knew now (then I wouldn’t need a degree, would I? Ha ha ha…) I think I would have gone overseas to study. Kathmandu University now has a program in Buddhist Studies with Himalayan Language–I would have loved that. On the other hand, I now have a soft spot for Great Books programs. Hard to decide, since so much of who I am wouldn’t be there if not for this specific educational history…

Screaming Jesus

You scare me. A BA, MA, and 2 PhD’s. I will be very careful not to have an arguement with you, unless it’s on women’s shoes.

Screaming Jesus

You scare me. A BA, MA, and 2 PhD’s. I will be very careful not to have an arguement with you, unless it’s about women’s shoes.

Thanks namahottie, but it’s a BA, a BA (Hons), an MBA, 2 MA’s, a Ph.D, and a DLitt et Phil.

I hear the Germans have another degree beyond the doctorate, maybe I’ll try for one of those someday. Either that or become a Geshe.

How did you find out about the shoes…? :astonished:

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Thanks namahottie, but it’s a BA, a BA (Hons), an MBA, 2 MA’s, a Ph.D, and a DLitt et Phil.

I hear the Germans have another degree beyond the doctorate, maybe I’ll try for one of those someday. Either that or become a Geshe.

How did you find out about the shoes…? :astonished:[/quote]

One question= Do you have a life? :laughing:

In general, here’s how it works for Norte Americanos:

Annual Income
No degree, average ambition: US$30,000/year
B.A./B.S., average ambition: US$50,000/year
Graduate school, average ambition: US$70,000/year
Brains, ambition, follow through, people skills, guts (degree optional): $Sky’s the Limit

[quote=“Tomas”]In general, here’s how it works for Norte Americanos:

Annual Income
Brains, ambition, follow through, people skills, guts (degree optional): $Sky’s the Limit[/quote]

Sounds like a Master’s Card commerical… :laughing:

[quote=“Tomas”]In general, here’s how it works for Norte Americanos:

Annual Income
Brains, ambition, follow through, people skills, guts (degree optional): $Sky’s the Limit[/quote]
Crap lib arts degree ending up marking time in a benighted Asian backwater: Priceless.

Honestly, degrees are only a starting point.

Look at me for chrissakes:

I came to Taiwan with a worthless arts degree (Asian studies) and a superficial knowledge of economics. 4 weeks later I was working as a financial analyst, and did reasonably well over the next few years. Then I moved into sales, and learned how to market overseas and how tow ork with a Taiwanese company.

I later used that to start my own business, which is currently taking off.

So, while they are good to have, the right degree does not mean that you will do well - and no degree or a lib arts one might not mean that you will be marking time in a backwater somewhere - other life choices have a bigger ompact on that.

I was making a soundbite Mr He. I totally agree with you. I’m even thinking of buying myself a pipe.

I’ve got a B.A. but I should have learnt a trade; something useful and less gay like plumbing or elec-trickery.
Of course, I could have aimed higher for the ultimate job: beer taster! Now we’re talking!!!

My education was kind of random. Cherchez la boy for most of it. Which is why I ended up a big hill in Glasgow studying Icelandic.

Everything else in life has been a spur of the moment random decision based on the key questions in my life; do I have to get up early and will the weather be warm?

Law Enforcement and Police Foundations from Seneca College,King City Campus.

Good lot of good that did me. I’m in Asia.

If you’re going to run your own company, it’s generally better NOT to have done things the conventional way, i.e., get an education, rise through the ranks. Entreprenuers tend to get fired, or don’t fit in well, when they work for other people.

The same set of behavioural characteristics that gets you a nice spot on the company ladder will generally hurt you if you go on your own. So, for those of you who are wondering why you make a crappy employee (or a crappy student) it’s one of two things: You’re either a dipshit, or you aren’t meant to work for someone else (or study in a traditional environment).

The key is knowing whether you are a dipshit or not. Difficult judgement call to make because if you are in fact a dipshit then you probably decided you weren’t.

Ooh! Ooh! Can I be the poster boy for this post? CAN I?

Have you made the leap of faith yet?

Leap? Are you kidding? I’m no dipshit.