Are You Retraining Yourself for AI?

So? We should care about future generations just as much as our own…

I suspect your post kind of describes the issue of the sad lack of planning we are seeing now.

Serve*

Too lazy/entitled to find that post and edit it :innocent:

I’m not sure ai will ever take over manufacturing. The ai won’t know it’s tearing itself apart unless it has the right sensors, and they’re extremely expensive and more importantly, it takes time to run them. Every robot needs at least 2 workers to run them, a programmer to program the thing, and an operator to stop the machine before it messes something up.

And those require a lot of skill.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Well, someone’s gotta program them. They don’t run itself. Depending on the robot that requires a huge amount of skills, even if using CAM tools. Algorithms can’t predict everything, and having to probe every tool and workpiece is going to cost time. Sure lidar can probably work, but not if you need micron or even nanometer accuracy.

You know CAM tools are basically “AI” for CNC machines. Those haven’t eliminated jobs.

CPU’s for example are all made by machine but I’m willing to bet they still employ an army of workers to operate/program/maintain those machines.

And I know this because I’ve been a CNC operator. It requires some skill, not a huge amount, but you still need to be competent or else you’re going to damage something that costs a lot to fix.

I’d say 2 workers per robot is conservative. More complex robots probably require more. I don’t know how much workers those EUV machines need, but I bet it’s more than 2 per machine.

Given that Taichung MRT accident, I’d bet there’s a driver with their hands on the button to stop the machine. So no jobs are eliminated because trains are automated.

Maybe jobs that get eliminated would be jobs that are pointless, like look for x in a stack of resumes.

Do you think each person can only program 1 robot? Or can we share? And how often do you reprogram them? So how many robots / person?

1 Like

Depends on how many types of robot is used, and if they all do the same thing they can be batch run, but you still need operators to look after each machine and probably someone to check stuff like oil/coolant levels.

Also we don’t know if new jobs/demands will be created because of masses of people who are freed up because of AI. Used to be farming was all manual work, and mechanized farming meant few needs to farm. “The harvest is plenty, workers are few” might have been true in the old days, and today one guy with a combine harvester would have harvested it in a day.

My concern is tech companies are bringing ever more profit while employing fewer workers, yet cost of stuff seems to only go up.

CNC and robots have overlap, but they’re not the same. We have cnc at work. We also have automated lines, robot match drillers, auto mate using robots and white light metrology, etc. I worked a few years as our advanced manufacturing lead, so I might know a few things here. a few people can take care of the day to day of a whole lot of robots. :wink:

Right. So you started by saying manufacturing wouldn’t be taken over because you need 2 people per machine. Machines have taken over farming. So not sure what that anecdote is meant to show.

1 Like

Because if a large number of people are destitute isn’t going to help the economy when there’s no one to buy the products.

Depends on the farming. Farming still needs a lot of labor. Not compared to before but it still needs labor.

Sure, but even sensitive crops (strawberries, grapes) are getting the labor automated as costs for people get higher. But overall, things like large scale
farming that would have taken an army of people now takes 1 dude (that’s mostly redundant) in a big Deere tractor that drives itself.

1 Like

Seems Taiwan’s farming is mostly done by hand. I don’t see many tractors here. Land is too small.

1 Like

and labor too cheap

1 Like

I think I saw it at a night market.

Once one compares work produced, one realizes labor here is actually insanely expensive! Like, really amazingly expensive!!!

Not excusing the millions of middlemen and pseudo bosses here fucking their employees. but work per dollar here is not a positive conversion. Hence foreign labor and hiring old folks usually for a lot of people. Stupid shops (eg. Fashion) here are so expensive due to said things. If comparing their costs. Margins tell all, hence why no one talks about their true costs :wink:

Granted the richest of companies that have billions poured into streamlined factory lines, things are better. But generally speaking. I can do better with even a lazy ass Canadian kid (already very entitled and iver paid for zero skill) vs a taiwnaese kid. If comparing results to dollars. People then ask, why is this this price then, blah blah blah. To that I answer, understand how cheap the crap you are actually buying is :wink: exceptions of course, but the norm is the norm.

Yup. But also, we need to understand what farming is. Especially in regards to the products and consumers they serve. Things like medicine, synthetic/lab/intensive methods have mostly made farming an ancient artifact. Food is going thisbway as well. I feel it is naive to not be open about this. We already see how large a percent of our food is from an increasingly shrinking pool of diversity. This is just simply fact. And a fact I feel will keep moving forward. Rather than expanding genetic diversity, species eaten diversity and creating jobs, we (as a global species) are going the polar opposite direction. Observable. And seemingly with massive public support. I feel due to ignorance and lack of foresight.

My best guess is 50ish years. We are going to increasingly rely on lesser diversity. Never mind species. Even varieties. But patented clones of animals, plants, fungi and bacteria. Emphasis on a very few selected strains. Which will no doubt be patented! People complaining about Monsanto now are just fully fully unaware of the glo al market. We should be so lucky lol.

Moving forward, as we are already being trained to be accustomed to factory slop, served in fairly limited ways. They will be marketed in different shapes, sizes and colors. But anyone who actually is legally allowed to see the formula moving forward will realize it’s the same shit marketed differently and very rarely based on nutritional, conservation also etc quality. At best, shiny machines that are cleaned well quality…then farm efficiency quality, meaning all profits going to only a couple. Slavery is absolutely in the future, as it is already being seen.

There are pros and cons to this. But it seems, given most of societies complacency and greed, we won’t be stopping this evolution. Most of us food producers are embracing this inevitability. Which brings me nearly to tears. Moral people cutting corners just to try to keep from bankruptcies. Customers don’t actually give 2 fucks. Yet. They will in a couple decades, but foresight isn’t taught in schools. It is a very complex problem. From corruption, to protection of wild lands, to germplasm theft/protection, to health, to manufacturing, to logistics, to ethics, to…everything… food and expansive populations are literally the core of our issues. Tech and everything is level 2, not first principle. Also a mistake. No matter how bad Cellphone and computer tech is, it is like a cute baby compared to how bad our food sourcing is. We need to wake up, then care. Then actually act. To focus on apple phones, with all their obvious hypocrisy, while our 711 shit slosh causes infinite more problems is a bit ironic.

If we go to basic source materials to create food, we cut out jobs. 100%. Nevermjnd global climate and dispersal patterns which should normally fuel rejuvenation. Vanilla flavor is mostly from wood, not the Mexicans that discovered this spice. Every story is the same. If we are left with tortured animals in tiny cages and a few monocultures, which are already basically fully automated, good fucking luck. Arrogance always ruins the day. And we already know it, ahead of time. But, we still do it. Probably the same story for every collapsed civilization before us. EASILY preventable, but we are greedy as all fuck.

In the end, wheat, rice, bean, cassava etc starches. Probably insects for Animal protein. Made into a yummy mcdonalds chicken nugget sludge and we will praise their business capability :broken_heart:

Luckily we haven’t fucked up the oceans yet :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You do realize gmo crops allow otherwise infertile lands to produce a huge amount of crops? Some are pest resistant.

Most people are alive because of the haber process. Without which there’s only a fixed amount of food per acre can produce, and the only way to eat more is war. Ironically haber wasn’t looking to make fertilizer, he was looking for ways to make explosives.

Seafood is basically bugs from the ocean.

And? I have no issue with gmo. Genetic engineering is a but more risky, but even that I haven’t commented on either.

It’s management that is the issue, not selective breeding. Re read my post please.

Because management isn’t drawn from meritocracy, it’s all nepotism. Basically all who you know.

When management are all winners of popularity contests, how do you expect them to know how to manage land? All they care is keep people happy.

We pay them to know. If the authority of any given topic is rendered innept, we are left with anarchy. Not great. Best to get them in tip top shape. Also best that, we the people, aren’t total fucking retards either :wink:

It takes actual effort and sacrifice to push things forward. And given our population densities now, it also requires a certainly level of organization on SCALE to get shit going. Best bet is if we are all educated. Preferably intelligent. Then the government here is relatively fluid in how it changes. Trouble is we aren’t the former. At least, so it seems.