Are You Retraining Yourself for AI?

I saw the department valedictorian from college one Sunday a few months ago. He graduated from the University of Chicago with an economics PhD and had been working for a defense agency. I said I was in search of a job in which I can work remotely, and he was being offered a bonus for finding someone. So I sent him a resume. He looked at it, and said that my experience had been mainly in data compilation and programming, so he kicked out my resume to a programming department. They also rejected it, saying they’re looking for someone who knows machine learning.

There will be massive tech layoffs in the near future (or is it happening now?), with only AI/ML jobs being spared. This isn’t due to any disruptive force, I was told; just companies doing accounting shenanigans for their stocks. The AI wave will come later.

Jensen Huang (NVIDIA CEO) also said a lot of AI work is will be in the life sciences because that’s where all the data is.

The agency I work for offers a massive palette of online IT training, through Pericope using Skillsoft, especially in Python. They also have some machine learning courses, but from a perusal thus far, they seem to be very cursory.

In order to give myself an edge by knowing the theory, I’m studying the mathematics behind it. I have regression analysis and linear algebra down pretty solidly, and I’m reviewing Calc III. There’s also principal component analysis, completely new to me.

3 Likes

I’ve already got the general background knowledge, so don’t need retraining. Am giving myself plenty of hands-on practice in using it. And, because I’m in education, I’m teaching people how to use it.

For me, I don’t believe it can replace me, so I don’t need a full retraining. It’s just another knowledge base and skillset I add to the repertoire.

1 Like

Nah it’s all a bullshit bubble like crypto

1 Like

Sure, like the cloud too? :laughing:

5 Likes

I always use it for work and chat-gtp used to be way better. On my personal life I don’t want AI.

I considered an online Master in Machine Learning and did some research. The programs are quite affordable. The field is very much in flux. A lot is changing. Until very recently large language models were not a thing. It is more a hobby with me although I am sure it would help with work.

2 Likes

The cloud was also a big hype. Sure, it’s useful but 99% of jobs don’t need to use it other than occasional user level. And user level is very simple, no need to worry about it. Same for IoT.

6 Likes

Agreed with this. What people are calling “AI” isn’t AI yet. It’s still machine learning. This means it will limitted by computer architecture as computers aren’t architected the same way as the brain.

AI will be integrated into everything, initially there could be chief of AI /machine learning strategy etc but really it’s just a component of the job for most of us out there unless you have the technical chops and ambition to do it as your core job.
Keep up with the tools , do a short course is good enough for most of us.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but it misses the point of the question

1 Like

Out of curiosity, isn’t this the same oxy moron that leads to people living lives they don’t like? Throughout time, same scenario. No?

It’s OK to stand up against something, and even construct something that doesn’t enable something one doesn’t like. Even for profit.

AI could be fine if there were any kind of regulations and social awareness about it. The lack of this is really quite alarming. Expect a new slave styled industry in disguise a generation or 3 down the line.

People doing forced labour would laugh at this. But they aren’t allowed freedom of expression nor information, so it is a fun time where the very much enabled and kinda rich (us) are going to face tough times. An eating popcorn moment displayed over 50 years, for sure!

It’s not even about AI. It’s just the very basic, primitive human psychology that is always on repeat. New tools, nothing more. If we go extinct, imagine how the Neanderthals feel.

Exactly…

Funny how we completely lack a meaningful, on scale, sense of preservation. This is how we can clearly define our species as not being intelligent.

So what? Did anyone did specifically need to train for “the internet”? No, we learned while using it. When AI is useful, and it might be, we will learn.

The issue is AI + automation + people are lazy/entitled now. Like it or not, things are probably going to become more polarized.

The question is, what safety are in place, or will be in place, when mass job shortages happen?

It’s not just ai. It’s an evolution of things including ai. Overpopulation and under production by individuals in some places is gonna hurt the incapable.

My question is, what happens when all the poor folks that have been treated like dirt gain a bit of wealth and don’t want to do the various jobs automation can’t replace. What then?

I view a future of food with very few basic inputs (probably under 50 species) that are all lab/factory made. We are already almost there now, we just don’t see the evolution when we are on the inside.

In my opinion. For most of us with little econimc power. We can still use our wallet as a voice. Demand restaraunts several food. Expect companies to have human customer sevice etc. Complain and threaten lack of business otherwise. And follow through with it. It’s easy, scalable and effective.

Plenty of people took classes.

1 Like

In Canada, public schools 30 years ago were training children about the internet.

1 Like

I want this on a t-shirt.

I think most people here will be well into retirement when AI really becomes as big it is projected to be.

Awful

Because nobody actually knows anything yet other than those talking out of their arses.

Sell sell sell gimmick gimmick buzzwerdz high technology babble babble make people panic babble sell we’re all going to die unless you follow my three step guide at £99 per month. Never fucking ends.

The cloud was a name given to shit that already existed in the 90s. I use Azure, and I’m pretty sure that whenever the designer was conceived, his or her dad fapped on a table, punched the ejaculate several times, set it on fire, scooped it up with a spoon and then splat it into his or her mother for gestation, as I don’t know how else it could be more awkward and scatter-brained in its implementation. And I’ve seen some pretty fucked-up server rooms, complete with burst coolant lines, like a robot bukkake.

3 Likes

Yeah they got courses like “AI for managers” and other fluff.