Army in Taiwan and China

Dear Forum,

I just saw in german TV, that Abians children have to join the military
service in Taiwan compare to the sons of chinese leaders. Those will
be send onto american universities rather serving the country.

I think this is worth to mention. You can see Abian seriously pushing
forward taiwanese independance while he doesn`t give his sons a
special treatment.

Poor China, Taiwan, go ahead for independance !!

Yeah, I’m sure Chen’s son had a really tough time in the army. :cry:

but…very few conscripts have a ‘tough’ time in the army these days…1 year and 8 months of finding ways to pass the time…4 days off a month, split into 1 break every 2 weeks or so

All able-bodied men in Taiwan have to do military service. Not so in mainland China. So one wouldn’t expect military service to be compulsory for China’s leaders, any more than it is for everyone else.

By the way, did you know that one of Mao Zedong’s sons, Mao Anying, was killed in the Korean War?

Mao Zedong’s 30-something grandson is in the army. He’s got a do-nothing position, though.

[quote=“Timo”]Abians children have to join the military
service in Taiwan compare to the sons of Chinese leaders. Those will be send onto American universities rather serving the country.

I think this is worth to mention. You can see Abian seriously pushing forward Taiwanese independance while he doesn`t give his sons a special treatment.

Poor China, Taiwan, go ahead for independance !![/quote]

I think the following exchange from another thread is revelant here:

Nonsense. Do you really think the Chinese guy would pay any attention to the danger of the river? The real difference is that the Chinese guy would let his son play dangerously by the riverbank without the slightest thought for the possibility of problems (while he was burning trash next to his house and sending his wife off to market on the motorcycle without a helmet), whereas the westerner would keep his kid away from the river unless he had a life jacket until he was old enough to swim safely in it.

Vorkosigan[/quote]

Now the question is, if Chen started a war and his son (as well as many other people) died, would he say “I am so stupid!” or “I’m unlucky!”

Timo, I guess yiou are refering to the “Weltspiegel” on ARD Sunday evening? I am just curious, was that report pro Taiwan or pro China ?