Army stew or 部隊鍋

Anyone had this in Taiwan? It seems a certain steakhouse offers it as a part of their salad bar and I wondered why it contained what it contained. For those who don’t know it’s essentially a kimchi hot pot that contains hot dogs, ramen noodles, and a slice of American cheese.

It seems this comes from Korea, and it originated from people making stews out of supplies salvaged from abandoned American army bases…

Most Korean restaurants around me offer it.

add blocks of SPAM !

You can make it. The point of it is it’s easy to make with stuff thrown in. Just get some shin ramun

1 Like

I tried some but I don’t find it too appetizing at all. I’m not a huge fan of kimchi for one, and that I rather have real meat in hot pot, not hot dogs or spams.

I gather they just took what they found in army bases and combined it with their own food stuff, hence the spams and cheese.

That sounds pretty awful. :nauseated_face:

Exactly my sentiment. I had no idea why it was called that and it did not look appetizing at all. No way I would ever have cheese in hot pot.

It’s quiet nice on a cold winter day

2 Likes

It actually sounds pretty great. :wink: I was skeptical, but some spicy Shin Ramyun, butter, an egg, and a slice of cheese is freaking outstanding. First heard about it in an interview with Roy Choi, and I liked Kogi, so gave it a shot. good stuff.

toss in a grilled, sliced got dog isn’t going to make it worse. :-p

I remain unconvinced. You guys can split my portion, no need to thank me.

I don’t like cabbage and especially kimchi actually, so that would be the main deal breaker for me. I also don’t find this Korean and Okinawan thing of repurposing U.S. processed meat products like Spam and hot dogs that appetizing either…

So yeah, you guys go ahead and dig in. Don’t mind me, I’m full. :nauseated_face:

Yea honestly if I come across an abandoned us army base in just going to use their ration as intended, which means grilling the spams and such. Us army rations are not meant to be boiled in a pot.

There is a wide variety available in Taiwan. I had some yesterday, as a matter of fact, that was just wrong. The spiciness came from the Shin Ramyun packets and not from kimchi. Then instead of kimchi, there was some cabbage thrown into the mix. Oh, and there were a few of those mini hotdogs some people put in hot pots here. So wrong in so many different ways.

1 Like

I’m also quite disappointed by most the army stews here. They are too sour and not spicy enough. I even had one without Spam a couple of weeks ago. Can you imagine?

1 Like