✈ Arrival | Arrival caps - Experience

Has anyone had any experience being denied boarding due to the 150,000 per week arrival cap or know how it is enforced?

I need to make an urgent trip to Australia as my grandpa is in ICU but I’m worried about being denied boarding due to the arrival caps on my way back. When Australia had caps people were denied boarding left, right and centre.

1 Like

Surely they won’t even let you book it. Are you saying people were buying tickets and then getting stopped at the gate when flying to OZ?

1 Like

Back when they had arrival caps, yep

1 Like

They were counting passengers as they checked in?

Fwiw I never heard about this happening for Taiwan. People having trouble finding flights, yeah (@afterspivak maybe had this issue?), but if you had a flight - and the route continued to exist - you were fine.

4 Likes

i had the same experience, as long as you have a flight ticket you are good.

4 Likes

Yep. I’m not sure how it worked exactly. I read of a few people taking the government to court for infringing on a citizens right to return their own country. Not sure what the outcome was. A lot of people had their flights change on them several times and denied boardings etc.

Glad to hear Taiwan isn’t being as ridiculous

Fairly sure you won’t be able to purchase tickets if the cap has been already met.

1 Like

You have an ARC and you’ll be fine

1 Like

given how little flights are coming in still, no worries at all even going near the cap.

1 Like

What @lostinasia and @izzy said: if you have a confirmed seat, you’re good.

At this point, definitely Taiwan is heading toward opening further rather than adding on restrictions. It’s hard to imagine that you would run into trouble.

Guy

1 Like

It’s scheduled to be raised starting December 1:

Guy

2 Likes

astonishing still keeping this quota. meaningless.

1 Like

Perhaps. Although I also understand the caution after seeing airport debacles unfold elsewhere: in Amsterdam, in London, in Toronto . . . even Sapporo suddenly cancelled some incoming flights as they simply did not have enough staff as they try to ramp up again!

Guy

Yes, but 1 has nothing to do with the other. They dont say we limit arrivals to ensure quality of service, they limit arrivals to prevent the virus invading TW

It has to do with airport capacity too, as they again try to ramp up.

Guy

I am not sure that’s their official reason for this quota, the quota would be imposed by the airport authority or the Ministry of Transportation, not by the CECC.

They are still using covid as justification.

I do agree airports in Europe were in a mayhem last summer (Amsterdam in particular, it took me 3 hrs to clear security and then flight delayed by 2 hrs), but that’s due to staff shortages, I don’t see a particularly severe staff crunch here.

Took a flight today (To Japan), it was I guess 25 percent full, and airport was very few people (also KHH Airport a few weeks ago) so I guess no where near the caps. Now the EU, that is very different. Also a note was surprise how few tourists it seems on my Taiwan to Japan flight, more business travellers from the look, like me.

3 Likes

An update for @justintaiwan and any other interested forumosans: effective December 10, the weekly arrival cap—which was raised to 200,000 today—will be completely lifted.

Guy

5 Likes