I live in the US, will be moving to Taiwan soon. Where/what office do I contact in Taiwan to start the process of clearing the cockatiels for arrival?
There are English pdfs.
It’s nearly impossible unless you have a lot of money. But even then they have to stay in quarantine for a long time
No idea on birds, but BAPHIQ is the exact place to ask. they are in charge of all the animals and plants issues. Otherwise it is just the airlines logistics and taxes, which are easy.
Go inasking with species name, CITES certificate info if they are a protected species, any shots that may be relevant etc.
Awesome. I am going to contact them and ask what the process is. It looks like they only have a pathway for dogs and cats so this may be rather complicated.
There seem to be pathways on the page I linked, differing based on if you’re in the US or not. It does look complex though.
I’ve seen some exotic birds here, so there must be a way
Oh, there are loads. But I assume they’re imported in numbers to breeders and distributors. The PDF there for from the US sets separate conditions for 5 birds or less
Imported poultry, young birds and fertilized eggs quarantine operation application procedures
- Imported birds, chicks and fertilized eggs should meet the quarantine conditions for importing birds, quarantine conditions for importing birds from the United States, quarantine conditions for importing chicks and fertilized eggs, or quarantine conditions for importing chicks and fertilized eggs from the United States.
(those conditions are the above posted English PDFs.)
- Please apply to the Bureau for the approval and issuance of the import quarantine conditions and designated quarantine letter 4 weeks before the scheduled import. The Bureau will reply to the applicant within 7 working days after confirming that the information is complete and correct, according to the aforementioned quarantine conditions.
A. Those who apply for the import of waterfowl and landfowl: please send or fax the application form and related documents (please refer to the application form for detailed information) (fax number 02-2332-2200).
B. Those who apply for importing birds (birds other than waterfowl and landfowl, such as pigeons, parrots, hawks and other flying birds, etc.): Please go to the “Bird Importation Reservation System” in the online application area of the bureau to apply online, or fill in the application form. The application form is then faxed together with relevant documents (please refer to the application form for details) to the Animal and Plant Quarantine Center of the Bureau (fax number 03-483-0536).
- Before importing, please confirm that the batch of animals meets the above-mentioned quarantine conditions and the import quarantine conditions and designated isolation letter issued by the Bureau, and apply to the animal quarantine agency of the exporting country for the issuance of an animal quarantine certificate (please be sure to confirm the quarantine certificate issued by the exporting country) The content of the certificate complies with the aforementioned requirements).
- When importing, the animal quarantine certificate (original) issued by the animal quarantine agency of the government of the exporting country should be attached, and the quarantine declaration should be submitted to the port or airport of the importing local bureau (Keelung, Hsinchu, Taichung, Kaohsiung).
- Those who pass the temporary inspection at the port of entry or the airport should transport the animals to the designated isolation and quarantine place for isolation and quarantine according to the instructions of the quarantine personnel.
A. During the period of isolation and quarantine, the applicant should send personnel to take care of the animals on site, and handle quarantine-related matters according to the instructions of the quarantine personnel.
B. The principle of isolation and inspection time is 10 days (eggs are isolated until 10 days after hatching), but the quarantine personnel will extend the isolation if necessary (for example, if the animal is in poor health, the observation period must be extended or waiting for laboratory test results, etc.) .
- After confirming that the import quarantine is qualified (the quarantine personnel of this bureau will determine that the batch of animals conform to the relevant quarantine regulations after the expiration of the quarantine period, the applicant can apply to the Customs Administration to complete the relevant procedures of customs clearance and take it back. The batch of animals.
Poultry and birds are allowed to be imported only from zones in the United States
recognized by the central competent authority of the importing country as being free
from highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI).
United States (except for Indiana, Kentucky, New York, Maine, Delaware, Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, Maryland, South Dakota, Illinois, Kansas, Wisconsin, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, Texas, Montana, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Idaho, Utah, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, New Jersey, Nevada, Florida, California, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi)
Another thing I just remembered. Taiwan is banning, or perhaps heavily restricting, the importation of thousands of species now. I am not sure if it has already been put in place, but there are a bunch of birds that were proposed on the list. That would be worth looking into as well as it isnt quarantine related. I completely forgot what they called it, dont remember which section of government was in charge either. but the quarantine people probably know. Or maybe some knew here
I guess you mean this.
CCC 號列 貨 名 號列實施
Urocissa erythrorhyncha 102/09/01 111 B01
Threskiornis aethiopicus 111/06/01 111 B01
Geopelia striata 111/06/01 111 B01
Phasianus colchicus 111/06/01 111 B01
Cyanopica cyanus 111/06/01 111 B01
Copsychus malabaricus, Copsychus saularis 111/06/01 111 B01
Garrulax canorus, Pterorhinus sannio, Pterorhinus perspicillatus, Pterorhinus chinensis, Garrulax vassali 111/06/01 111 B01
Sturnia malabarica, Aplonis panayensis, Acridotheres burmannicus , Acridotheres javanicus, Acridotheres fuscus, Acridotheres tristis, Acridotheres grandis, Gracupica nigricollis 111/06/01 111 B01
Ploceidae spp. 111/06/01 111 B01
Pycnonotus jocosus 111/06/01 111 B01
Vidua macroura 111/06/01 111 B01
Lonchura oryzivora, Lonchura maja, Euodice malabarica, Estrilda astrild, Estrilda melpoda 111/06/01 111 B01
Import controlled (licensed by the Bureau of Foreign Trade.)
Importation shall be subject to the prescription set forth in the Table of Commodities Subject to Legal Animal & Plant Quarantine compiled by the Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan.
(Note: Please contact BAPHIQ for related quarantine requirements or access the website of BAPHIQ’s http://www.baphiq.gov.tw.)
I missed that one. Thanks for that. Looks like there is a process that is manageable. Though it is still ridiculous that they are still requiring me to go through the process as if they are wild animals or livestock.
Nymphicus hollandicus isn’t on there fortunately.
Virginia is not free from the flu too.
you can check here where is the flu free.
Awesome thanks. Indeed that first one is the one I had heard about, cheers for the links!
Maybe you should reconsider
Seems fair to have to pay, but jail? that seems pretty illogical to me.
luckily cockatiels probably wont cause such a scene.
I have seen a couple of illegal birds here too, the guy flying them was pretty open about that.
So seeing them here isn’t an indication they are allowed in.
Seems extreme. But Cockatiels are the opposite of Macaws. Small and nowhere near as noisy.