Arriving Taiwan in 4 day! Card/Hobby Shops?

Super excited to be back in Taiwan (specifically Taipei) after living in Canada for 10+ years. :smiley:

Got a few quick questions about locating a few things:

1. Card/Hobby shops - not sure if this is a niche question but anyone know of a good card (like Magic the Gathering) hobby shops in Taipei - where it’s nice and spacious, lots of playing areas (even just general board games cafes - not sure if this is a thing popular in Taiwan).

2. In Canada, I use quite a bit of meetup.com to find groups and activities. Is there an equivalent website in Taiwan? Or is Meetup popular in Taiwan too?

3. Any tips/recommendations for schools that teach web design/development? Mature student here. Basically I’d like to learn about the process and flow, sites that Taiwanese designers/developers use here.

4. Is there an area in Taipei where English speakers hang out?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

There are some in the underground Taipei City Mall behind Taipei Station. Not sure they’d be called spacious though.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“anothefoo”]

1. Card/Hobby shops - not sure if this is a niche question but anyone know of a good card (like Magic the Gathering) hobby shops in Taipei - where it’s nice and spacious, lots of playing areas (even just general board games cafes - not sure if this is a thing popular in Taiwan).

[/quote]

There are some in the underground Taipei City Mall behind Taipei Station. Not sure they’d be called spacious though.[/quote]

Ooo…I remember that area! I also remember every inch of the floor, inside and outside, are covered with teens and their handhelds like PSP, gaming away…that’s too intense :open_mouth:

There is one on Baoan Street in Xindian, very popular, rather cozy -ead small. Lots of games. Easy MRT access.
2 and 3: sorry, no idea.

1. Shida university area, Gongkuan area, Tianmu -for people with families- all in Taipei. South f the bridge maybe someone else can pitch in.

@anothefoo

Hi- I’m sort of in the same boat as you … back in Taiwan from Canada and looking for people to play MTG with.

Were you able to find a good shop and/or group?

What a coincidence, my son will be arriving on Friday to spend two months with me in Taiwan, and he’s a big MTG fan. I’ll check back on this thread to see where he might be able to play.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“anothefoo”]

[/quote]

There are some in the underground Taipei City Mall behind Taipei Station. Not sure they’d be called spacious though.[/quote]
I don’t really ever read this forum, but there are quite a few “games” cafes here. There is a company that rents these games to the cafes and then rents space from them to display games that you can buy. Witch’s house near Tai Da is one and I know there are quite a few others. Unfortunately you need to bring your own players but they have tons of games and I have bought quite a few from them. I am not into MTG, but my brother is. I love other kinds of games and they have something for everyone.

facebook.com/MTG.Taiwan

a list of shops:
home.gamer.com.tw/creationDetail.php?sn=1549348

All in Chinese, sorry… but it seems like it has a decent player base here, eh?

[quote=“hansioux”]https://www.facebook.com/MTG.Taiwan

a list of shops:

All in Chinese, sorry… but it seems like it has a decent player base here, eh?[/quote]

Awesome, thanks.

Ideally I want to find people to play recreationally with, as I already have a lot of cards for now and don’t want to spend a whole pile of money, and I assume playing at shops means Draft.

But it’s probably the best way to get into the community for now.

I’m here visiting my dad (steve4nlanguage, who posted earlier in this thread). I’m not sure how into Magic you are, but there is a new set that is about to come out (M14).

The prerelease for the new set is this weekend (7/13 and 7/14). You can find shops here: locator.wizards.com/

If the shop has a logo next to it that says “Play,” that means they hold DCI-sanctioned tournaments there, which usually means they have tables to play other games as well. If the store does not have the logo, that usually just means they happen to sell the card game, but they don’t offer places to play the game.

I’m planning on playing in the prerelease for Magic 2014. I can’t speak or read any Chinese, but I plan on bringing a laptop to help me translate the cards.

I’ll report back to this thread and share the experience I have at whatever hobby shop I go to this weekend.

This past weekend I ended up meeting some people at Cardmaster … it’s one of the shops listed in the locator. My decks are more of the kitchen table variety, while they were playing some pretty serious Legacy stuff (e.g. Power 9), so I didn’t fare so well competitively, but everyone was really cool and it was a pretty fun afternoon.

But I definitely recommend the shop. It’s really easy to get too (1 min from Chiang-Kai Shek Mem. Hall MRT station), lots of tables, and the staff all speak English. And they’re doing the pre-release. If I’m able to (I mean, if the wife lets me :wink: ) I’m going to stop by to watch.

I’ve quit playing MtG since I was a teenager and sold my collection for $5k. I moved on to play Vampire the Eternal Struggle, made by the same company but BETTER. In case if anyone wants to try out this game, let me know. I got about 60k extra cards so you can build a deck easily without having to spend a dime. Anyway, just moved to Taipei to take care of my ailing folks while trying to find job in the film industry (no, not an actor, a line producer). So hopefully someone will be interested and will need 5 players for this game.

James

[quote=“hansioux”]https://www.facebook.com/MTG.Taiwan

a list of shops:

All in Chinese, sorry… but it seems like it has a decent player base here, eh?[/quote]

The final column with dots tells you whether or not they have a space for playing the games.

Also not listed is Witchhouse 女巫店 which is a cafe around TaiDa that has many students come to play games late into the night.
their fb: facebook.com/pages/%E5%A5%B … 2243371354

I’ve found Cardmaster near CKS Mem. Hall is a really good spot. Lots of tables, friendly staff, lots of players.

What about Vampire the Eternal Struggle? Same company that made Magic the Gathering but a lot more sophisticated. I’ve moved here recently from Los Angeles and brought all my collection here and was hoping to find people to play. Let me know if you’re interested at least take a look. You won’t have to worry about buying cards because if I can afford to give some cards to help you build a deck, I’m more than happy to do so. If not, no biggie. I quit Magic back in 1994 to play VtES and never looked back :slight_smile:

I’m always up for learning new games. I’m hoping to be able to do something this weekend, maybe go to a shop and play some MTG; maybe we can work in some VteS at the same time.