Artists's workshop. Somebody else's idea

Conversation last night (HH) about the value of all these words we write here.

I stopped using forumosa because 400,000 words is enough for a novel and I felt I should have used the time to do something more useful. Since then I’ve been goofing off on other sites, and not actually getting anything more done, so here i am again.

Others have proved smarter than me. They say “Why not write stories, articles, etc. on forumosa and invite feedback? That way you might actually produce something you feel good about.” Good point, and I’ve seen plenty of examples of that here in the past.

So, is it time for a writers’ forum? A home for the humble scribings of all those aspiring wordsmiths where they can encourage and constructively criticize each other. I thought it was a good idea.

Comments?

[quote=“Loretta”]So, is it time for a writers’ forum? A home for the humble scribings of all those aspiring wordsmiths where they can encourage and constructively criticize each other. I thought it was a good idea.

Comments?[/quote]

I think it sounds fine, so long as it isn’t limited only to those who are consciously aspiring wordsmiths…

I mean, it ought to be open to those who take a more Zen approach to writing, as well. Sort of like what this book was talking about… but for writing:

Hmm, your piece is too short for a short story and nothing really happened, but keep it up. :slight_smile:

HG

Sounds good. What about creative projects other than writing? Forumosa’s got a number of very good photographers, for example. I’m not qualified to offer any sort of professional critique, but as Pope John Cleese told Michelanglo, “I may not know art, but I know what I like!” Not sure how music could be shared over this medium, but surely there’s any number of other interesting pursuits to be shared.

That said, given the uhm, vigorous nature of much of the criticism posted here, I hope our aspiring artists have thick skins.

I’m trying to get a public access TV show. In script development right now.

Perhaps the writers’ forum should be akin to the women’s forum, ask to be admitted. That way if someone goes there just to be a shite he can be kicked out.

Hmm, your piece is too short for a short story and nothing really happened, but keep it up. :slight_smile:

HG[/quote]

I’m still working on the plot. I can’t decide whodunnit.

Re: photos - why not?

Music I don’t know about. But if people can create MP3s of their stuff I’m sure ways can be found to make it available. Plenty of cheap hosting out there if someone can help with the technical side if required.

Criticism can be contained. Most people will be constructive if reminded and unnecessarily nasty comments will no doubt get the treatment they deserve.

I think that is an excellent idea. There are (more than enough) places here for wrenching around.

Why not call it The Writer"s Block?