As we know traffic is a major cause of death in Taiwan

I find watching these videos is not good for mental health.

[quote=ā€œshiadoaā€]
Heard a new Radio advert today,telling people to wear bright clothing on the roadsā€¦because older drivers have difficulty seeing people wearing dull clothing !!! :loco:[/quote]

That is another thing that I hate. Daily, I am driving to my company to a remote countryside area. I pass small villages and their small markets. The biggest danger around those is always some grandma or grandpa, looking 100+, no helmet, just driving against the road flow. Iā€™ve seen those being hit a few times already, usually they donā€™t drive fast, that is the only good thing. I mean, at certain point you should give up driving, for your own and others sake. My dad being 70, doesnā€™t drive his car at night anymore, and even during the day he is extra careful and goes slower than he used to, and whenever possible gives the wheel to other people with better sight.

Tho age is just one of problems. 2 weeks ago it was a teenager who rammed into my scooter =_=

[quote=ā€œmukashiā€][quote=ā€œshiadoaā€]
Heard a new Radio advert today,telling people to wear bright clothing on the roadsā€¦because older drivers have difficulty seeing people wearing dull clothing !!! :loco:[/quote]

That is another thing that I hate. Daily, I am driving to my company to a remote countryside area. I pass small villages and their small markets. The biggest danger around those is always some grandma or grandpa, looking 100+, no helmet, just driving against the road flow. Iā€™ve seen those being hit a few times already, usually they donā€™t drive fast, that is the only good thing. I mean, at certain point you should give up driving, for your own and others sake. My dad being 70, doesnā€™t drive his car at night anymore, and even during the day he is extra careful and goes slower than he used to, and whenever possible gives the wheel to other people with better sight.

Tho age is just one of problems. 2 weeks ago it was a teenager who rammed into my scooter =_=[/quote]

I fear the problem is not ,how old or how young the riders head is.It is the fact that it appears to beā€¦ empty :popcorn:

[quote=ā€œshiadoaā€][quote=ā€œmukashiā€][quote=ā€œshiadoaā€]

Tho age is just one of problems. 2 weeks ago it was a teenager who rammed into my scooter =_=[/quote]

I fear the problem is not ,how old or how young the riders head is.It is the fact that it appears to beā€¦ empty :popcorn:[/quote]

well, as for the old driversā€¦ I mostly fear that they donā€™t really see well, so donā€™t process what they donā€™t see :s

[quote=ā€œNuitā€][quote=ā€œcakeā€]

[/quote]

Astonishingly stupid. Unless youā€™ve lived here for more than 3 months.[/quote]

Good lord. What kind of idiot tries to pass a car with a blind spot like that? Are Taiwanese really that stuid when it comes to driving?

Yes. Iā€™ve seen the police do it too and also encourage me to pass them on a blind corner as they were going slow for some reason.

[quote=ā€œcakeā€]I canā€™t seem to embed these.

But I am shocked people are trying to help here:

youtube.com/watch?v=MqT1i_oP7hQ[/quote]

Call me cynical, but the only reason the driver goes to help is because he canā€™t actually get past in his car and drive away.
Not a problem for scooters though. Didnā€™t see any of them stopping.

National re-education is needed. The TW I left in 99 didnt see massive indifference. ON the contrary I always saw people helping whenever there was an accident.

I myself participated in one on MinChuan E.RD once. A mini blue truck driver got pinned in his vehicle when an accord rammed him. The accord was on top of the blue truck. Its driver got out but the blue truck driver was pinned in his vehicle.

A group of people rolled the accord off the blue truck. I helped direct traffic and clear a lane for fire trucks and ambulance to reach the scene.

They managed to get the driver of the truck out and to the hospital, he was alert but hurt.

I think he made it.

The accord had gone over the center divider before hitting the mini truck.

People are afraid of liability. ā€œIf you touch the injured guy, heā€™ll accuse you of causing the accident!ā€ Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a cultural fear if having your face insulted (or just pa ma fan), but I suspect something like that story happened once or twice, was reported on the news, and then summarily burned into the collective consciousness of the people as something that always happens everywhere to everyone. Have I mentioned I hate TV news?

[quoteGood lord. What kind of idiot tries to pass a car with a blind spot like that? Are Taiwanese really that stuid when it comes to driving?[/quote]
Yes. :noway:

Pride kills. The first step is for them to actually admit there is a problem.

In that original video it is a complete fail by both vehicles. The one that flipped shouldnā€™t be driving in the passing lane and the white one should have looked before trying to move over. I hope the driver of the white SUV burns in hell.

Another van flipped recently.

focustaiwan.tw/news/aall/201305130035.aspx

This has made me change my mind about getting a SUV for my family.

Yes vans and SUV are less safe on the freeway in view of rollover accidents. Which are a real killer. Sedans can roll over too, but driving an SUV or Van , one has to be extra careful about not making sudden moves and over correcting. Rollovers are the major cause of death for vans and Suv vehicles.

Not Taiwan, but China.
This has to be one of the funniest accidents I have seen.
Itā€™s like something from the Keystone cops.
No idea how to embed this
liveleak.com/view?i=af1_1369050002

Anyone got any REAL statistics on road traffic accidents and fatalities? Would be interesting to really have a look. Western statistics are fairly easy to find, never had much luck with Taiwan.

Utterly bored of youtube or liveleak inboard footage.

Some people do help.

youtube.com/watch?v=eyUdXE38x_I

In this crash , the suv driver was seriously hurt but people around smelled gasoline and were afraid the vehicle would catch on fire. A brave lady scrambled inside from the rear hatch and her and a guy pulled the man out.

He survived but at the time of the report was still in ICU

I agree with people getting sick of seeing this stupid driving/accidents on a daily basis. I have decided,in my own way,to try and do something about this problem in Taiwan. I know that I am only one voice and I have been advised countless times,that nobody can make a difference,or is interested. Well, I will try because I am stubborn.
The FIA (Federation Internationale de Lā€™automobile),who Govern Motorsport,also exist to promote Road Safety Worldwide. it is a non-profit making organization.
The Taiwanese CTMSA has existed for many years ( In theory to promote motorsport and Road safety) in Taipei. Not much has been done to utilize the Funds and expertise available to help.
I will try and change that. I have an appointment with the President of the CTMSA on Tuesday,in Taipei,when I shall be demanding an explanation ,as to why nothing has been done for almost 20 years to promote Road safety,when that is their Primary purpose. I am pretty sure I can get the ball rolling with, at least, a reasonable campaign, to start. Itā€™s all about awareness and training AND enforcement. I may then, be able to shame the Government into enforcing ,existing Laws on Safety issues.
This will probably make me the most unpopular Man in Taiwan :cry: . If one life is saved because someone listens and learns ,then I donā€™t care.
The alternative is to do nothing,which I think would be worse.
http://www.fia.com/campaigns

Check out this nut job.
I hope he was caught and done for attempted murder.

No idea how to embed.
liveleak.com/view?i=74e_1380117454

[quote=ā€œshiadoaā€]I agree with people getting sick of seeing this stupid driving/accidents on a daily basis. I have decided,in my own way,to try and do something about this problem in Taiwan. I know that I am only one voice and I have been advised countless times,that nobody can make a difference,or is interested. Well, I will try because I am stubborn.
The FIA (Federation Internationale de Lā€™automobile),who Govern Motorsport,also exist to promote Road Safety Worldwide. it is a non-profit making organization.
The Taiwanese CTMSA has existed for many years ( In theory to promote motorsport and Road safety) in Taipei. Not much has been done to utilize the Funds and expertise available to help.
I will try and change that. I have an appointment with the President of the CTMSA on Tuesday,in Taipei,when I shall be demanding an explanation ,as to why nothing has been done for almost 20 years to promote Road safety,when that is their Primary purpose. I am pretty sure I can get the ball rolling with, at least, a reasonable campaign, to start. Itā€™s all about awareness and training AND enforcement. I may then, be able to shame the Government into enforcing ,existing Laws on Safety issues.
This will probably make me the most unpopular Man in Taiwan :cry: . If one life is saved because someone listens and learns ,then I donā€™t care.
http://www.fia.com/campaigns[/quote]

you are a great man and i appriciate someone else speaking the truth on this matter.

i think we should all do the same, but taiwanese are quite a stubborn bunch when it comes to this matter. they really cannot see the importance of such an issue, and how shit-tastically bad their driving actually is.

it is frustrating. and i turn into a swearing mother fucker pretty much ever time i cross the road in taiwan.

[quote=ā€œLrosā€][quote=ā€œshiadoaā€]I agree with people getting sick of seeing this stupid driving/accidents on a daily basis. I have decided,in my own way,to try and do something about this problem in Taiwan. I know that I am only one voice and I have been advised countless times,that nobody can make a difference,or is interested. Well, I will try because I am stubborn.

you are a great man and i appriciate someone else speaking the truth on this matter.

I think we should all do the same, but taiwanese are quite a stubborn bunch when it comes to this matter. they really cannot see the importance of such an issue, and how shit-tastically bad their driving actually is.

it is frustrating. and i turn into a swearing mother fucker pretty much ever time i cross the road in Taiwan.[/quote]

Lros,Thanks, I despair with the indifference here. I tried to get funding (free) and was told that the Government are not interested, I was also told that the FIA here is structured in a different way (because of China) so itā€™s not possible to get any help easilyā€¦and many other reasons. You can only try and help someone who WANTS to be helped. I give up :cry

[quote=ā€œshiadoaā€]I agree with people getting sick of seeing this stupid driving/accidents on a daily basis. I have decided,in my own way,to try and do something about this problem in Taiwan. I know that I am only one voice and I have been advised countless times,that nobody can make a difference,or is interested. Well, I will try because I am stubborn.

I hope you donā€™t convince them to install more cameras, lower the silly low speed limits more, or make the road tests harder.