Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

looks like you don’t even need us anymore :frowning:

That’s odd, my reply wasn’t to you yet here you are replying to me anyways. Why don’t you go ahead and field whatever posts come my way, since you seem to enjoy the press secretary role and all. TT Mackenany. It has a ring to it.

What, you’re plugging my other posts now?

Depends on what sect they belong to.

1 Like
2 Likes

Oakland was a great city. I lived there and went to neighboring Berkeley. In Oakland they have a Chinese mayor. Bruce Lee had a martial arts school there where he taught anyone including nonchinese, which pissed off chinese. Now, (some people) in Oakland and Berkeley prey on Asians. The Asians are too small and slow to fight back and aren’t carrying a gun.

Watching too many National Geographic shows? “These helpless creatures’ only defence is to beg for mercy in broken Angrish.”
Are they slow from carrying too much money, or is it genetic? Maybe bad eyesight from all those Chinese characters?

1 Like

Google the attacks and robberies yourself and see the videos on YouTube.

These days you can find footage of attacks.

You can also Google a robber who admits he and his friends prey on Asian students at USC because “they don’t fight back.”

You can contact the newspapers and straighten them out

And here we have a very good example of how institutional racism operates. From that second article:

“Founded in 1880, USC is one of the oldest private universities on the West Coast of the U.S. Its location of being just south of downtown Los Angeles historically had been an asset as the city underwent a metamorphosis from an outpost to a world-class destination.”

“But that’s changed rapidly in the last 50 years. After the Watts Riots of 1965, the so-called “white flight” began as middle-class families fled south to Orange County and the neighborhoods surrounding the USC campus – South Central L.A. – were taken over by low-income black, and later Latino, residents and soon became crime-infested, particularly during the 1980s and ‘90s when gang wars were rampant.”

"USC has sought to combat the problem by buying and gentrifying more land around its original campus and then essentially creating a bubble over it with beefed-up security. "

Translation: USC was really great and a world class destination until all the whites left and then it turned into gang-land and went to hell. We’re trying to beef it up now for rich Chinese with money to gentrify.

A different writer with a decent sense of history would have asked what the Watts Riots were about, asked why that white flight happened (whites could get bank loans to flee to the burbs, black people couldn’t and had their property values shredded by Redlining), and addressed the poverty and poor education that leads to the gang violence in South Central.

1 Like

I’m not justifying it as threats and attacks are uncalled for. But the tension there is pretty notable. Only 36% of Chinese Australians believe in Democracy, and they’ve been causing issues there. Public opinions of the Chinese has declined in Australia for these reasons.

https://www.ft.com/content/0c7db822-bc05-4e82-910b-90c28907d716

3 Likes

I was born in East Saint Louis Illinois 92 percent black. I lived near USC.

There’s always a good excuse but not a good reason

Then you should be aware of the historical reasons why those cities are in the shape they are in.

Its not an excuse. they’re facts.

1 Like

But what happened to this?

Seems your view of historical facts depends on whether it suits your narrative or not.

2 Likes

It’s based upon a historical understanding of convict leasing, redlining, the GI bill that gave home loans that excluded Black people that led to white flight, private prisons, and a whole slew of other historical events. I doubt you know about any of these things.

It’s true!

Nah. Opportunity finds the crime. When I was a younger piece of shit, we of the lower class poor ilk, would ride over to the richer white neighbourhoods and steal the bikes of the morons who’d left their expensive rides out on their front lawns. It’s called easy pickins’. It aint racial it’s opportunism.

Sorry, FT article is pay walled- what does it say? The Guardian article:

It found that 69% of Chinese-Australians surveyed said they personally felt accepted in their day-to-day life as a part of Australian society, although that feeling was strongest among Australian citizens and permanent residents and was lower among long-term visa holders.

Seven in 10 Chinese-Australians also felt a sense of belonging to Australia, either to a great or moderate extent – a figure that was lower than the levels found when the Scanlon Foundation surveyed the Australian population in its 2020 social cohesion project.

But some troubling aspects:

While most Chinese-Australians expressed attachment to both Australia and China, about 46% of the sample indicated they were personally concerned about the influence of China on Australia’s political processes.

That was much lower than the 82% level of concern about China’s influence that was identified in a parallel Lowy-commissioned survey of the Australian population.

Two-thirds of the Chinese-Australians surveyed said they saw China as more of an economic partner to Australia than a security threat. But at the same time, two in three in the sample said they would support imposing travel and financial sanctions on Chinese officials [associated with human rights abuses]

The project also found 84% of Chinese-Australians surveyed used the Chinese social media platform WeChat to read Chinese language news, either often (34%) or sometimes (50%).
The Lowy Institute report said this high level of reliance on WeChat for news “may affect respondents’ perception of political events in Australia, as WeChat routinely censors content, even outside China”.

It’s not at all the same. There is a difference between stealing and robbery.

You didn’t exactly push a white dude off his bike and ride away with it. That’s what those people are doing to Asian guys using a laptop at cafes and in universities.

2 Likes

Ya, I thought about it today after I wrote that. I also think the difference is that my group of criminal bastards were 12 and these are adults with adult consequences. I just hate hearing stories like that where two groups are coaxed into distrust of one another.

As a little ironic comeback, this happened to me in my 20s. F’n loved that bike…