https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cVQpCMLSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSicdnahJ7o

Bonus: recommended page on FB

@gazpachoagridulce

5 Likes

“Instill values of fairness and fairplay” _> TUD-TUD-TUD

xD

Very effective.

OK, massive hard-on. This is embarrassing…

“Fear improves overall grades” :slight_smile:

I have told ya: fear la Chancla!

Serious question: if la chancla is an effective motivator, why don’t Latinos have the same reputation for academic prowess that Asians have?

1. There are fewer resources to study, ie, more poverty and less acuumulation of capital. We do not have a “guild” that subsidizes business entrepreneurs -even if it just a restaurant, which hires people from abroad and has them work for free until they pay the debt of bringing them there, so those entrepreneurs have kids that can study and succeed.
  2. There is also less motivation, as a degree does not guarantee a job, let alone success. Pedigree does, not skills nor intelligence.
  3. There is also the monkey in the barrel syndrome. Anyone who tries to rise above the class they were born is punished, until eventually others in his class punish him for trying. Asians compete to be on top in a less canibalistic way.
2 Likes

I think this one is key. In Asia there is intense social pressure to rise to the top. In third-world countries (and dysfunctional subcultures generally) there is intense social pressure to sink to the bottom. “The nail that sticks up …” syndrome is present in all cultures, not just Asian ones. The only difference is the definition of the baseline.

I’d also add 4) the academic environment in most of the world is a sham, a bizarre cargo-cult caricature of what education is supposed to be. It has all the right appearances - kids lined up in classrooms, blackboard at the front, uniforms, textbooks and tests - but the central point of it (ie., teaching kids to think, learn, and grow) is anathema to the culture, and is therefore excised.