Asics Taiwan

I just found a pair of Asics Gel-Pulse 14 at Costco for 1799NT. This is around 50% off compared to Canada and the States. Does Asics have a factory here or something, that lets them make shoes at such a discount?

Not complaining, I am really happy.

1 Like

I highly doubt it.

The more likely reason is that Costco can afford deep discounts because they make money off subscriptions and not off the product unlike traditional retailers.

If it’s the same style that you can buy at other retailers then it would be from excess inventory. They may even do more of a discount here to move through inventory faster in a market where less people will notice vs. in the US/Canada. If you see a style that is unique to Costco and not sold elsewhere then many times the product has been de-spec’d or uses cheaper materials/production to hit a price point.

Edit: Just checked their published list of manufacturers and no Taiwan.

3 Likes

Look at the tag on the inside of the tongue.
Sometimes I would get sub-NT$1000 Asics or Mizuno. They were typically made in some SEAsian country like Indonesia or Vietnam.

They are made in Indonesia. But my Asics I bought in Canada were also all made in Indonesia.

Hey, it looks like I got the same shoes. I was going to buy a pair of Hokas but I couldn’t pass up this bargain. I’ve never had Asics before. Good to hear that this is a good shoe.

My guess is that this is just a normal Costco bargain. They contract for a million pairs to sell worldwide and demand a steep discount from the manufacturer.

1 Like

Same here. A former student of mine works at the store in Taipei and the employees get STEEP discounts, each month – like a giving quota – that they may, under certain circumstances, send your way if you play your cards right. :whistle:

1 Like

We even got the same size, funny! They are good shoes. I love my pairs of Gel-Nimbus, and they are my goto for longer distance. These Gel-Pulse are pretty close though (and you cant beat the price!!), and I will use them mostly for walking, and maybe some shorter runs.

1 Like