Asked to move schools

Has anyone taught at a government school in the past and was told you were going to have to work at another school, full-time, within the same program?

Nope. And tbh, if I were settled with a social life and enjoying living in that area and teaching those students, such a thing would piss me off and I’d fight it. Where are they threatening to ship you off to?

Current school is 1 mile away from home, new school will be 10 miles away.

It is in another district.

The program has about 15 schools in it, and the contract says they can modify the work place (whatever that means), but then they sent another contract to sign which says they can modify the workplace which includes working at different schools within the program. I have signed like 3 contracts that they have altered, things like vacation days increased or other information which related to a 1 year contract not a 1.5, so 6 sick days went to 9 sick days etc.

So we are 3 teachers currently at our school and one of us has to go in the new semester for a year. (1.5 year contract total)

I feel pretty pissed off man especially since that school has enough teachers and I think that they might be sending the 2 new teachers they will get to go teach at rural schools who can’t have a full time English teacher.

Hasn’t been decided who will go, if I stay I wouldn’t give a shit but if I am the one to go, I will hate it.

So it sounds like they haven’t chosen you yet. If they do choose you…then my advice would be to fight it. Make up some reason for why the move would be bad for you and try to be diplomatic about it. If that doesn’t work, get a little edgier and more emphatic. Maybe if you’ve done them a favor that wasn’t required in the contract (like appearing in promotional material, or meeting parents) you can bring that up. And ask them why they’re not asking the other two teachers to move. If it’s still not working, know when to pull back and just accept. You don’t want to rage at them so much, that they threaten to terminate you. Get right up to the line, but don’t cross it.

1 Like

If you’re working at a government school, under the MOE, then contact the MOE.
I had to talk to my MOE reps about my school because I had 25-35 classroom hours a week, which violated the original contract, and they helped me out.
Are you part of the FET program through the MOE?

Yes, gov school.

The thing is they had us sign 3 contracts.

One with the agency, one with my current school and one with the head school of the program, which one of us will have to go work at.

So I think they can get us to move based on that.

What is the FET program?

If you’re under an official MOE program, then your contract with the MOE should be the only one you needed to sign.
The FET ( Foreign English Teacher) program is the main program under the MOE for hiring in foreign teachers in public schools. Our contracts are only 11 months, pay is regulated by the government, as well as hours and placements.
Did you go through a private agency?

Yes private agency, my old one was 11 months, this new program is 18 months.

Did your school get bitchy because you didn’t bend to their will?

I would try contacting someone in the MOE, that’s very odd. I would also highly recommend looking into the FET program. If you talk with them, they might be able to get you into their program, if not, they can probably help with your school if they are in fact MOE.

And no, thank God. After multiple meetings and explanations, I was able to reduce future assignments. My school has me working with 16 classes, but hadn’t counted my extra work with IEP/504 students, my “Free Talk” office hours, or our school visits into the mix. They wanted to add more, which is why I contacted the MOE, but in the end it was resolved.

The program I’m under has to abide by MOE requirements, so they couldn’t push for more.