ASMR: The big business of making super soft sounds

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180605-the-weird-whispering-videos-that-brands-want-to-cash-in-on

The newest Youtube phenomenon! People like getting tingly. This isn’t how we did it back when, but I guess there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Soft, whispered sounds are too much for the Chinese it seems

Sounds more like Taiwanese eating sounds .

1 Like

This stuff always creeps me out more than anything else, but I think I understand it. There’s a particular tone of voice that gives me chills (not in a bad way). I don’t hear it very often but imagine what a soft spoken perfume saleswoman would sound like describing a scent to you.

I’ve tried these things (youtube clips and podcasts) to see if it would trigger it. It just has the opposite effect.

If you are into ASMR…

From Mashable:

The only thing better than a traditional Rickroll is a Rickroll that takes eight months to play out.
YouTube user Gibi, who runs a popular gaming channel in addition to an ASMR channel, did just that, sneaking lyrics to Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up” into months worth of videos. To celebrate her 1 million subscribers, Gibi took the well-known internet prank to another level, and the wait was well worth it.

I used to get ASMR reaction when I was young by visiting the dentist. Something about the sound and feeling of him scraping my teeth. It’s a very unique sensation, like a pulsing throbbing feeling of pleasure in your head and relaxation in the rest of your body.

IT was weird discovering there was a name for it, I thought I just really liked the dentist. All these youtube videos have never triggered me (I’ve really tried). Apparently most viewers are watching for relaxation or using it as a sleeping aid.